• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch questions

nbristow01

Over the past several months my ignition switch has given me some grief. Initially it would get stuck about once every 2 weeks. I could not turn the key. I would spray a bit of WD40 in and it would easily turn then. Like something is just getting stuck. So it has slowly gotten worse over the weeks. Now it happens about twice a week. I know WD40 is not a lubricant...in fact it is the opposite. It is a parts drier. So today I picked up some lubricating oil spray. Shot a bit in and I will see what happens.

I drive this car daily between 100-200 plus miles a day. Very often I am out in remote areas so a bad switch would suck. Are the problems I am having indicating I need to buy a new switch or from your experience will the oil I sprayed in fix this issue? If I need to get another switch do they still have new ones available? If I have to buy one I would prefer to buy one that will last another 37 years vs getting a used one that may not last for long.

Thanks in advance for any input

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Nick, Interesting topic ....I'm replacing the ignition switch in the INKA, previous owner pulled the whole steering support just to remove the ignition lock. Never had a issue with the ignition sticking. The ignition switch slides by removing a very small screw taped under the tumbler. I did have issues with the ignition sticking due to the locking mechanism of the steering wheel. Keep testing ...Any one up for Lunch next week in Lewisville TX ..New office is in Coppell ...

I found a local Locksmith who is going to be able to re-key my ignition switch located in Denton

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Guest Anonymous
Nick, Interesting topic ....I'm replacing the ignition switch in the INKA, previous owner pulled the whole steering support just to remove the ignition lock. Never had a issue with the ignition sticking. The ignition switch slides by removing a very small screw taped under the tumbler. I did have issues with the ignition sticking due to the locking mechanism of the steering wheel. Keep testing ...Any one up for Lunch next week in Lewisville TX ..New office is in Coppell ...

I found a local Locksmith who is going to be able to re-key my ignition switch located in Denton

where/when in lewisville? i might come. did anyone get the epc to run on their computer?

Ken Inn

Thanks goodluck, I don't need the search function any longer...just post and wait for you to respond with the threads

The 2002FAQ...Where YOU are the search engine.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks goodluck, I don't need the search function any longer...just post and wait for you to respond with the threads

The 2002FAQ...Where YOU are the search engine.

LOL I went ahead and ordered an entire new ignitiion switch assembly from BLUNT. Will be cheaper than a tow bill if I got stuck in the sticks

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

part, not the electrical part), I did a column on how to dismantle and repair the little piece inside that prevents you from turning the key to the start position a second time without turning the key to the off position first. That little piece can break and jam the entire lock mechanism.

Drop me a line if you'd like a copy of the column...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous
I went ahead and ordered an entire new ignitiion switch assembly from BLUNT. Will be cheaper than a tow bill if I got stuck in the sticks

A great relief.

Guest Anonymous

Oh no! Now the locks will not be keyed alike. Keep at least a dozen spares for each lock so you don't get stuck out in the sticks. Do you know how to re key the door and trunk locks? Something to ponder.

Not too hard to re key the doors if you know someone with enough spare wafers....

I recommend getting copies of that new key made, using those and putting the "new" one away in a safe place. Consider it the "master" key that you make all copies from.

Did you try a better key in your old ign before you gave up??? I've seen many many lock and key problems come down to worn out keys.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Oh no! Now the locks will not be keyed alike. Keep at least a dozen spares for each lock so you don't get stuck out in the sticks. Do you know how to re key the door and trunk locks? Something to ponder.

Never lock my doors

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle