• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

saved another E30 today

M3M3

When I was going to redo the suspension on my e30 I was going to go with Billy HD's and used M3 springs. After a short search for a set of springs I ordered a set of H&R sports and Billy Sports. At first I thought it was too stiff but today, I wouldn't change it for anything. Even Jen says its comfy. And she thought the WRX was too stiff.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and it rides even better with all new bushings in the rear! completed the maint this afternoon. the left subframe bushing had failed completely..not the rubber...the metal sleave at the to had sheared off in the body. no wonder the car wandered and made clunkinig noises.

major thanks to jim...work completed.

new muffler hangers, brackets and bolts

new tranny bushings

new rear rubber brake lines in back

both rear calipers rebuilt

new rear subframe bushings

new TA bushings

new diff hanger bushing

brakes bled.

this is why you are supposed to change brake fluild regularly...

DSCN5353.jpg

2xM3

Just did the brakes on mine yesterday. (Thanks Blunt) I also replaced the hoses with braided lines. I wussed out on the ones on top of the subframe. I'll do those when I need to rebush the rear end.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I wussed out on the ones on top of the subframe. I'll do those when I need to rebush the rear end.

John

I can tell you it is MUCH easier to replace those little hoses without the subframe in the car.

Jack rear of car up really high and put a plastic bag under the brake fluid reservoir. TIP that Marshall showed me: Remove the E30 reservoir cap (with float) and use a 2002 cap over the plastic bag.

Pulling the rusty e-brake cables from the body tubes is also really fun!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

as if the last installment wasn't enough. with the subframe noises subdued, new sounds were heard. hmmm...cv joints?

yep. nasty. time for clean out and repack of inner and outer on both sides. and of couse, while i am in there....rear wheel bearings.

the right tools are wonderful on this job.

DSCN5366.jpg

DSCN5364.jpg

think these were due.

DSCN5368.jpg

gone

DSCN5367.jpg

needs help

DSCN5356.jpg

DSCN5371.jpg

DSCN5372.jpg

gotta get bearing races off the hubs.

DSCN5369.jpg

DSCN5370.jpg

all back together...with a few less noises. alas, now i can hear something else..hey, it is 25yrs old...i will find them all eventually!

2xM3

You don't happen to have the old strut inserts, shocks, and strut mounts do you? I'm looking for a really cheap set, regardless of condition, to try to test fit on my '67 2000 tilux project. Direct replacements for the tilux are ridiculously expensive, and I've been doing some research and have found a few instances where people have used e30 components with little to no modification. I would like to test fit some used ones before shelling out the cash for new ones. Let me know if you hung onto yours when you replaced them, and if you'd be willing to part with them for a low price for my project.

http://rustandtiluxation.wordpress.com/

Like I said, I'm just looking for the strut cartridges, strut mounts, and rear shocks.

Thanks!

will it ever be done? ;-)

Old cars are like houses. When you get to the end of the maintenance, you have to go back to the beginning. Either that - or by the time you are done, you've replaced everything, and it's for all practical purposes a new one....

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

• 11 months later...

it is an old Rotary brand mid-rise lift i got from a friend who surplused it. it is perfect for oil changes, brake work, suspension stuff, etc. not good for engine changes or tranny work as it blocks that area under the car. it is also not very low profile so i have 2x12's on either side of it so when i drive bmw's up on it the undercarriage does no hit the lift pads.

i installed it in my main garage (instead of my shop) and park my daily driver on top of it. makes for very easy (5min) tire changes when i need to put the snow tires on!

funny you should bring this up today as when i read your post my e30 was up on the lift for an oil change!

and the e30 has seen 19k miles in last 12 months since i saved it. great commuter car!

2xM3