• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 Engine...

C.Des

Thanks for the tip on s14.net

I kick myself because I had a 91 I bought right after high school and I think I paid 16k for it. I looked for another one a while back and I couldn't believe how much the prices have skyrocketed for those cars now... well a decent one anyways. There are the ghetto buckets out there for a decent price, but the last thing I want t buy is somebody's hooptie contraption.

Funny thing is right after I posted this I saw one popped up in the classifieds, took less than 24 hours to sell. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something eventually.

do you have your heart set on an s14? what do you plan on using the car for?

having driven various 2002 configurations, my thoughts are:

for a street driven car, do an M20. much more useable torque and power and its smoother. quicker than an S14 in this use. and much cheaper.

for a track car or "just because"...S14. you have to be over 4k rpm all the time to get any power out of the S14. that is where you are on a track so it works well. around town, well, it kinda feels like a very expensive and buzzy m10.

JMHO

2xM3

Needs 2.5.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

for a street driven car, do an M20. much more useable torque and power and its smoother. quicker than an S14 in this use. and much cheaper.

for a track car or "just because"...S14. you have to be over 4k rpm all the time to get any power out of the S14. that is where you are on a track so it works well. around town, well, it kinda feels like a very expensive and buzzy m10.

JMHO

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

JMHO

Ultimately I really don't have my heart set on the s14, I've just always figured if I ever bought an 02 that would be how I'd build it. But I'm starting with clean slate with this car and really have the option of doing whatever with it.

For the money there's a lot of options since acquiring an s14 and then rebuilding or getting it freshed up for the swap is not going to be cheap.

There are a lot of engine options to choose from really. My plans for the car are to have a fun play car and do a few track days every now and then but really it's just another toy. Something the wife and I can cruse to the beach house with in the summer or just go run it through some twisties in the mountains. The car really doesn't have a specific purpose.

The other options I had in mind were a s50 (although I think it'll be too heavy in the front) or even just building the M10 with some sort of injection and a turbo.

I think a turbo M10 could be pretty fun with a 5 speed obviously... I already have the motor. Hmm... Choices Choices Choices lol

Guess I should do some homework on the m20 as well.

How much weight does the M20 add? I will follow your replies with interest. Not sure what I want out of mine, but it sure needs some extra power to keep up with minivans on the highway.

(Just got it home tonight after an eventful couple of days picking it up)

Bob S.

You could build an M10 using an S14 block and crank (still available new) for a whole lot less than an S14. This could produce about 170 to 180 HP, probably with a better (for the street) torque curve than the S14. Later on, after you strike it rich, you could spend another $8000 or more to make it an S14.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.