• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another M2 swap thread

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aerocharger, I really want to see one of these in, well any car. They've got a bad rap from the previous management but the design is pretty amazing (variable vane and self contained lubrication like a supercharger). http://www.aerocharger.com/kits_porsche_930.php

930DYNO%20-%20comparison.jpg

You probably already know this but you'll need an E30 medium case differential. They're 40lb heavier than stock diff, but can handle a lot more torque. From metric mechanic '02 diff 240ft-lb vs e30 380ft-lb for the same 3.90 ratio. However, the E30 rear subframe is lighter than the '02 subframe. Throw in some E21 trailing arms(10mm track width increase, monocoque design) and you'd probably gain 30-40lbs overall but significantly increase drivetrain strength and stiffness. On a positive note, that weight would help to offset the S14's extra weight(about 40lbs) compared to the M10.

Anywho, that's just the rear end I'm planning for my turbo car, no aerocharger though. That's going to be going on my next project(non-bmw). I'm planning some chassis stiffening too, I'll post pics when I eventually get back to working on that car in a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I already have an e30 LSD....I need to check that.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how the e30 m3 instrument cluster fits in a 2002 dash. I can buy an m3 box for the same price as the sensor mods, but I'm worried about how the gauges will fit.

If I go for the M3 tranny, I need to shorten the driveshaft, get the proper cluster, punch out the tunnel, and perhaps upgrade the diff(depending on what's in there now).

Am I missing anything? I haven't found any pics of those gauges in a 2002.

I like the e30 rear subframe idea; I have always intended to upgrade the rear sub, but if I'm doing that much, I'd prefer to go to a subframe that has 4 or 5 link rear suspension. Isn't the e28/e34 m5 a good choice for this? What about the Z3 rear subframe? I think the guy in Costa Mesa that built the 6-cyl turbo M3 powered 2002 (with transmission in the backseat) used an M5 rear subframe.

If I can't do the M3 gearbox without touching the rear subframe, Its a non-starter. I really just want to get the motor installed and running. If I gotta do it either way...

Machs Gut.

You need to shorten the driveshaft for a 5sp gearbox anyway.

The M3 box (265) will requiring hacking the top of the tunnel while the 245 requires persuasion by hammer.

Cheers,

Ray

I believe I already have an e30 LSD....I need to check that.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how the e30 m3 instrument cluster fits in a 2002 dash. I can buy an m3 box for the same price as the sensor mods, but I'm worried about how the gauges will fit.

If I go for the M3 tranny, I need to shorten the driveshaft, get the proper cluster, punch out the tunnel, and perhaps upgrade the diff(depending on what's in there now).

Am I missing anything? I haven't found any pics of those gauges in a 2002.

I like the e30 rear subframe idea; I have always intended to upgrade the rear sub, but if I'm doing that much, I'd prefer to go to a subframe that has 4 or 5 link rear suspension. Isn't the e28/e34 m5 a good choice for this? What about the Z3 rear subframe? I think the guy in Costa Mesa that built the 6-cyl turbo M3 powered 2002 (with transmission in the backseat) used an M5 rear subframe.

If I can't do the M3 gearbox without touching the rear subframe, Its a non-starter. I really just want to get the motor installed and running. If I gotta do it either way...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hmm, check the length specs online, but I am 75% sure. I went from a 245 to a 265 and I don't believe mine was cut again.

Cheers,

Ray

I have 245 in there now. Are you suggesting that the driveshaft may already be the correct length?

Gosh that would be sweet!

Ray

Brief update:

I bought a 265 with bellhousing and sensors yesterday. This weekend will be dedicated to picking up parts and degreasing the chassis. Hooray! On the bright side, If I move the MG out of the garage, there is enough room to fit and 02 on a rotisserie and even rotate all the way around!

Just get it done and drive it...

Also, getrag 245 will be for sale soon.

Machs Gut.

We can try! Flight leaves at 3pm Sunday.

Cheers,

Ray

I"ll be out and about all day Saturday, maybe Sunday I could meet up with you for a tasty beverage and to pick your brain?

Since I'm going down to San Diego to pick up some parts, I figured I would stop by the Stone Brewery 15th anniversary bash...Check it out!

http://www.stonebrew.com/anniv/

Ray

• 1 month later...

More news:

The Hybrid Megasump from VAC took some work to get it to clear the oil pump mount on the S14. I got enough clearance by grinding 0.5mm from both the pan and the pump mount foot, and then a few well-placed smacks with a large ballpein hammer.

That was the easy part.

The pan doesn't clear the subrfame, as it is supposed to, by about 10mm. Not alot, but too much to be able to fudge it by slotting this that or the other hole.

I am now redesigning the subframe for more clearance. Interesting, because I bought this big-money oilpan to avoid subframe mods. I want to convert to rack and pinion at a later date, so it would be nice to do all the subframe modifications at the same time, but I really don't want to set this phase of my project back by expanding the scope to include a rack and pinion converson. Two-step process it is.

But now I have no excuse for not moving the motor back. My mounts need redesign, my mount elastomers need redesign, my subframe needs redesign, and my tranny tunnel and firewall is getting lobotomized shortly.

No excuses, right? Ill have a link to pictures of my unsucessfull first attempt of dropping in the motor in a day or two.

Mach's Gut!

Machs Gut.