• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Transmission Help

So I was driving tonight and when I shifted, I accidentally let the clutch out too fast. Way too fast. There was a loud noise, so I pulled over. I pulled over and tried to pull away, because the car seemed to be running fine. I put it in gear with no problem, but there is no drive now. It won't go forward. I can let the clutch all the way out in gear and the car doesn't stall. It's like it is always in neutral. It turns on fine, shifts fine, the clutch pedal feels normal, but there is no drive at all. No leaks either (if that means anything). Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance. Also The clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and clutch slave cylinder are only 6 months old or so.

Well, I bet you broke the diff (btdt). You can start it and put it in gear and have a look under to see if the driveshaft is spinning -- in which case... you broke the diff!

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

If it makes you feel any better, it was almost dead anyway.

If you were local, I could solve your problem for 2 cases of real beer...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If it makes you feel any better, it was almost dead anyway.

If you were local, I could solve your problem for 2 cases of real beer...

t

Heh - no kidding. I have an open diff in GREAT shape that needs a new home.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Haha no kidding! I was thinking of upgrading to the 3.90 LSD from an 80-83 320is. Any thoughts? I have already looked at the extra things I would need to do. Is it a relatively easy swap? Is there a better option out there?

It's not plug and play but it's damned close. I have one and I think it's great. It is a nice piece of added security if you tend to drive like a hooligan on damp roads. ;)

-David

Well, yes. You can find them on eBay, and you can buy them from Dave Varco at Aardvark Racing. The up side is that the diff may have been at least visually examined to show that it has all its parts. The downside is price. Or, you can troll junkyards, Craigslist, etc for people parting out cars and pick one up cheap. The downside is you have to know a little bit about what you're looking for and you could still get a large doorstop.

-David

This is what you are looking for, a 80-83 E21 320is.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2406067236.html

Check your local pik-a-part yards as well, E21 S cars don't last long since they are desirable cars for upgrades. Besides the LSD, the 5 speed gearbox, recaro seats, sport steering wheel, make great upgrades for an 02.

If you find one, snag it quick, It's rare to find a E21 in the pik-a-part yard these days. Also keep an eye on the FAQ parts forum, they appear there frequently. Open diffs are a dime a dozen. You may just want to get another open diff, get your 02 running then spend some time trying to find a LSD.

My 74 tii has benefited from a dead E21 S car, it has the following S car parts, 5 speed, LSD, sport steering wheel and E21 recaro seats. Good luck in your search.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner