• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 EFI conversion thread

Here is my ghetto fabulous 318i injection and throttle linkage set up.

I made a bracket out of some metal to mount the 24"Lokar throttle cable and bolted it to the brake booster mount. I had to cut the original 2002 throttle linkage and weld a small metal piece to it to mount the cable. I got the Lokar cable from Egay for about $20

pics113.jpg

I then made another bracket and bolted it on the 318i intake manifold. I had to modify the original 318i throttle body alittle to accept the Lokar cable.

pics112.jpg

Ive been driving my 2002 for alittle over a month on this set-up and its running great and has not given me any problems. The fuel injection conversion is the best thing Ive done to my 2002!

Oh, Im running a Haltech F10X ECU, Ford ZX-2 17lb injectors and an in-line fuel pump mounted under the car. So far, so good!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would really like to see a complete EFi kit for our cars. nick's nephew in Texas was working on a kit based on a 318 conversion but didn't hear anything lately. I know tom at 02again can pretty much provide all the parts but it still requires some fabrication like the throttle linkage bracket etc, among other details.

Thanks Chris, and I'm not trying to detract from your excellent work; I was just pulling your leg a bit. I have idle issues with my alpha n at present, afaic.

As a matter or fact, I thought about your coil system today when I heard the M88 ping.

Cheers,

Ray

Eh.. Nobody's perfect.

Anyway, Ray you have a good point. Megasquirt really is a one off and shouldn't be confused with a plug and play kit. This is really a tuner's product. If you aren't comfortable with a minimum tweaking and frustration with a laptop sitting on your passenger seat, you might want to think twice. If you have exactly an identical engine and megasquirt setup including firmware and configuration, you may need to do some of your own tuning and adaptation.

I posted a couple more videos for good measure..

http://www.youtube.com/user/clamothe

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The biggest problem with a kit is making something uniform. If everybody had identical engines (cam, compression ratio, etc), identical intake, identical throttle body, etc. it would be one thing. Most people have different requirements which mean that each kit would have to be different.

Also there is no central configuration file. If there was a base configuration, it'd be a lot easier. When you get into the details, megasquirt changes frequently. So the config file from 2 years ago isn't going to be the same as the config file with current firmware. They are constantly introducing new features that are very helpful. An example is closed loop idle. The current firmware has the ability to tell the computer what you want the car to idle at and it adjusts it's parameters to make it happen.

Also the hardware changes. EDIS used to be a great way to go. It was only used by ford from 1990-1997. It's not something that will continue to be cutting edge. BMW has run sequential injection and ignition for many years. The aftermarket has to change to keep up.

There just isn't enough demand to make a single kit that is helpful.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

Ray,

I can take it.. bring it on. :)

The pinging is a good point as well! Fuel isn't the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago. I built my engine with lower compression pistons because I was avoiding pinging with pump gas. If I could do it again I'd go 11:1 in a heartbeat. The yukon coils eliminate that concern from engine building.

I'm working with Tom at 02again to make something available.

I appreciate you speaking up. If anyone else is interested let us know so we can push that project along.

This should work for any cable throttle including sidedrafts, 318 manifold, etc.

I built it to be flexible on the throttle ratio. It's ideal with the e30 throttle body, but can go one notch bigger or smaller if needed.

Tom is a great guy. I'm glad you got him on your side for this. Let me know when it's done and i'll be one of the first customers.

i have nearly everything needed for the EFI swap except a throttle linkage solution, injectors, and the time required to make the project happen. I'm hoping for this winter....

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Tom is a great guy. I'm glad you got him on your side for this. Let me know when it's done and i'll be one of the first customers.

i have nearly everything needed for the EFI swap....

-josh

ditto!

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

i worked on many different efi set-up, and am still very addited to the simplicity of the SDS stuff. no lap tops, no crazy map files, no computer at all required.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to consider which in my opinion would make the setup an easy one for the average "garage guy" is, to engineer it using the stock throttle linkage rod in its standard length, so the downward pull remains uniform for everyone.

Because an adjustment is required to work with both an E21 or 318, consider either an interchangeable bracket and/or cable as a solution to fit both needs.

That's my 02 cents... : )

Barry

1974 2002 - Fuel Injected, Bored, Balanced
Wide-Body Resto-Mod w/Lots of Goodies!

My sites - 2002BMW.com & HIDupgrades.com

BMW CCA - River City Bimmers