• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the battery tray now can anyone tell me well to bolt it?

Kpeters

Hey guys can you tell me if this should be bolted or welded? And if bolted where exactly? Pics maybe? Thanks!

Here are the pics.

P2260014.jpg

P2260013.jpg

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

position 180 degrees from the second pic, holes on the body should align the tray to the body. Don't forget the grind some paint away for grounding purposes.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

mmm so this is a later style tray which was suposed to be welded? If i turn it 180¤ the bracket that goes down, would be facing the firewall

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

If i turn it 180¤ the bracket that goes down, would be facing the firewall

Yep, as it's supposed to. The bracket rests on frame rail where it's welded. And the front goes against the front column and welded there.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

If i turn it 180¤ the bracket that goes down, would be facing the firewall

Yep, as it's supposed to. The bracket rests on frame rail where it's welded. And the front goes against the front column and welded there.

Tommy

Ok great so its all welded there. It should have the bracket serving as a "foot" for the tray and weld it then wel d the other side.

I wish I could just bolt it cause It would be much easier to take it out and work on the car.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

Well maybe you could drill holes and modify it a bit if needed to make it bolt on. But actually I don't think the tray is much on the way when working.

Tommy

Yeah I could do that, I'm trying it without the alternator on so I wonder once I get the alternator on it with the kuglefischer pump and all it might be cramped.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

As I recall extracting the alternator on a tii is a pain. I believe factory manual says disconnect front sway bar to get it out. I was able to take mine out by removing the front pulley, did not have to mess with sway bar.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

As I recall extracting the alternator on a tii is a pain. I believe factory manual says disconnect front sway bar to get it out. I was able to take mine out by removing the front pulley, did not have to mess with sway bar.

Fred '74tii

The nice thing is that they mounted the tii alternator down low, where it gets all the road spray and dirt. That way there is less chance of you having to replace it too often, since that procedure is a pain.

I usually run a splash guard under my alternator, especially on our rallies.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Yeah thats why I want to bolt it instead of welding it

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978