• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Dallas snow drive to work this morning

nbristow01

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe in having two sets of rims and two sets of tires, both mounted. I have used Blizzak tires in the winter and have had good luck w/them. In this region we had gotten used to having very wimpy winters for a number of years, but now we have snow on the ground for months on end. When I was a kid, we lived in Alexandria, LA for 5 yrs. We got one dusting of snow in the 5 yrs. there. I suppose they get much more in a 5 yr. span these days.

I second that one. If I ever buy another set of wheels, I'll get some snow tires for the current set!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Everyone be safe out there!

Just talking to a vendor today who lives near Kansas City, MO on a farm. She said they got 18" of snow in one day and it left 4 ft. drifts and registered -17 deg. F without the wind chill factor. She and her husband used a big tractor to clear their driveway.

One of my sales reps. in PA has been without power for 36 hours.

Some folks in MD are still without power from last weeks debacle.

Another SUV in NJ. Picture from Tuesday.

IMG_0210.jpg

One of my favorites from Christmas trip to GA

picsDec2010008.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

No LSD and no they do not use salt down here, just sand. We are not very well equipped to handle this weather.

Nick - seeing your vehicle listing in the signature; curious as to why you don't drive them instead of the 2002.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3 <<< quattro??

09 Mercedes C300 <<< non 4-Matic version worthless in the snow

06 VW Passat << your best bet in the snow if A3 isn't AWD

03 VW Conv Beetle << depends on the tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Gerock

No LSD and no they do not use salt down here, just sand. We are not very well equipped to handle this weather.

Nick - seeing your vehicle listing in the signature; curious as to why you don't drive them instead of the 2002.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3 <<< quattro??

09 Mercedes C300 <<< non 4-Matic version worthless in the snow

06 VW Passat << your best bet in the snow if A3 isn't AWD

03 VW Conv Beetle << depends on the tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha seems true but here is how it goes,

03 Beetle is one daughters (but my car)

06 Passat is the other daughters (but my car as well)

just sold the Benzo(wife thought the schedule a and b services are a ripoff) so she got a 2011 Honda CRV and loves it

06 Audi A3 is mine. Biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. I only drive it if I have time for a breakdown. Thats why I chose the 02.

I know I will get there and back.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

We have similar weather condition here in OKC last few days. I have second set of rims with Bridgestone Blizzak 185/70-13 I put on each year before snow hits on a warm day. They do great on ice/snow. I've had them on car with LSD & current car with open diff. Any 2002 with 4 blizzaks & open diff is way better than 2002 with mud/snow rated tires & LSD, although the LSD diff does help. I had studded snow tires for rear only 20 years ago that were skinnier & blizzaks are way better.

Theres one other brand Hankook or similar spelling ? sposed to be as good as or better than blizzaks I've heard.

2002 owner since 1980

I am visiting from California and am amazed at the level of snow here in Dallas.

However, I would beg to differ on the SALT issue. I specifically heard the news say they are using a combination of Sand, Salt and Magnesium Chloride. So, it sounds like you Sandblast your paint, then apply Salt to the wounds.

I'd wash that baby off ASAP!

Be safe. I've left my truck parked since Monday night.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Yes they use that stuff on some of the high overpasses. The areas I drive in get little if any sand and none of the expensive mix. They tend to use that on the roads up in th enorthern parts of Dallas. But with the way our winters have been turning I have a feeling they will be using more salt in the coming winters. Thats why I may be getting a big old 50's era Dodge Powerwagon 4x4 if these winters continue. keep the 02 garaged if I must

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Nick -

I agree with your wife on the MB scheduled service prices - especially the big "C". Our 2002 C240 has 135K and doesn't like to play well in the snow. My 2000 Accord has never let me down @ 200K miles.

A customer of mine in NJ has a black 2008 M3 that he drives every day - he installs a set of winter alloys with Michelin snow tires and swears by them.

pics10809010.jpg

Jim Gerock

Nick -

I agree with your wife on the MB scheduled service prices - especially the big "C". Our 2002 C240 has 135K and doesn't like to play well in the snow. My 2000 Accord has never let me down @ 200K miles.

A customer of mine in NJ has a black 2008 M3 that he drives every day - he installs a set of winter alloys with Michelin snow tires and swears by them.

pics10809010.jpg

I plan on picking up some snow tires this summer and putting them on some 14" weaves or steels..just for winter. My wife loves her Honda CRV, she said it is a much better car, she fels, than the C300 we had. Gotta love a wife like that!

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

If it has to be done there is no better car to drive in the snow than the o2. My 73 was dd for 6 years and I never got stuck or spun out (unintentionally). Especially fun if you are into drifting. Of course it paid it's due to the tin worm.

(o=00=o)

Seems everywhere is getting their fair share of snow this season....

We haven't gotten much down here, the storms keep missing us which is a bummer because I haven't gotten a chance to use my plow :-(

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Four wheel drive is great for getting unstuck. As soon as you are moving it makes no difference when you try to stop. I'm a New Yorker living in Ga. and it scares me how some people gas it in the snow here. I went to culinary school in Hyde park NY, back in '94 and we had two or three big snow storms. My 74 once dug out from being plowed in got around awesome. Junk in trunk and pizza cutter tires and these cars will get through it all!

'76 2002 anthrazitgrau 'Eli' the Chancellor

'87 325i delphin 'Chandler'

I saw LOTS of trucks in the ditch yesterday. I guess they figure if you have 4x4 you just drive like its dry. Well even with a 4x4 it requires skills and care to drive. Of course most of the guys were corn fed rednecks so you can not talk much sense into them

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle