• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 2002ti Damn windshield wipers will no turn off, Opinions?

BillyRay

I am having a little trouble troubleshooting this problem...I think it is my turn signal switch as my signals are intermittent as well. The ti has a "mist" feature on this stalk, when you pull it straight back the windshield wipers typically activate for 1-3 wipes and then settle into the rest position. Switch feels kind of worn out. Is this mist feature typical for early cars or is this a ti/Euro option? Next question, any option for repair or am I going to have to source a new one?

Best Regards, Z

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Call me crazy, but you should just push the end of the wiper stalk (like a button) to turn the wipers on and off. The round knob on the dash controls the speed.

Old, original stalk

pics11709010.jpg

Replacement ones now available

pics11709012.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The two switches in my photos work the same - the graphics are the only difference.

Does your stalk have any markings on it?

I thought the Roundies all had the same stalk with just the wiper speeds being different (2 speed vs. 3)??

I'm still learning about these little cars.

Jim Gerock

I learn something new every day. In this case there are no markings on the stalk. It is a long, thin stalk with no buttons or switches on the end only a plastic tip, looks like a black Q-tip. This type of unit is found on early cars. I still don't know whether the 'mist" feature was common to all early cars or if this is something that is ti/Euro specific.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

My 73tii has the "mist" feature (note the "wash" graphic).

Standard functions:

Push tip of stalk to turn on wipers

Pull toward driver to activate washer pump and wipers

Turn knob on dash to change wiper speeds

Push tip of stalk to turn off wipers

Move stalk up/down to activate turn signals

Jim Gerock

Understand, if my upload speed wasn't so terrible, I would post a photo. I found what may be some useful info with the search feature.

Murphy was a Grunt

I just found an old reference in the December 2002 Roundel regarding changes to our cars.

Changes to all '72's include... Windshield wiper switch moved to right-side steering column stalk; dash switch only controls speed.

SO.. Did you try turning the dash knob all the way to the left (or pushing it in all the way)? This might turn the wipers OFF.

Where is that Mike Self guy...

Jim Gerock

my signals are intermittent as well. Next question, any option for repair or am I going to have to source a new one?

Best Regards, Z

After reading your original post again, maybe your right-side stalk has some broken wires that are causing issues. This happened to me.

Remove the switch and examine the wires. I had mine soldered at first but then replaced the entire switch.

pics11709014.jpg

A bad wiper relay under the dash may also cause issues.

Jim Gerock

Yep, tried pushing speed switch on the dash all the way in several times...pulled it all the way out wipers increase speed...as they should. Removed speed switch...checked connections all appears correct with no apparent problems. Removed stalk and checked wires...everything appears correct with no apparent problems. I did not disassemble stalk. I am thinking the wiper washer feature is fused hence my problem...coupled with the turn signals working only intermittently? I suppose it could be the relay? but then why the problem with the turn signals? Separate issue?

Murphy was a Grunt

park feature--it's gone haywire. Your wiper motor is actually hot all the time, and the current is interrupted by the automatic parking feature. It's inside the tuna can-shaped part of the wiper motor and has two springy contacts that ride on circular brass tracks that rotate as the motor turns. One track has an insulated section; when the wiper switch is turned off and the contact hits that insulated section, current to the motor is interrupted and the wipers stop, conveniently at the bottom of the windshield if all is adjusted properly.

Something is wrong with one of those contacts and it's allowing current to flow to the motor all the time.

Drop me an e-mail if you haven't solved the problem; I think I did a column on this many years ago. If I didn't, it's a good column topic for the future.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the wash/wipe timed relay (1" round canister, 3 wires, mounts to firewall) had failed and shorted, sending the wipers into low-speed wipe mode whenever the key was on. After I disconnected it, the wipers parked themselves and run normally, but lost the wash function. One of these days I'll find a replacement relay.

Did you swap out the relay under the dash? My wipers were butchered by previous owner because they couldn't get them to turn off so the mechanic cut one of the wires. I had spliced wires back and swapped relay. New Relay fixed wiper not turning off issue. Relay is under the dash near hood release behind panel.

dlm hth