• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 75 inka 2002 project

PSloan

So, I guess a month or so ago I traded one of my e30s for this car plus $1500 cash (to me). I drove to atlanta, made the trade and dove it back. The glaring issues were that the cabin smelled like gas, it leaked and burned oil, and that it has a lot of surface rust on the body. The good news is that the rockers, frame rails, shock towers and spare tire well have virtually no rust. However, the roof has a lot of surfact rust and there's a lot of rusty areas around the belt line trim. None of is goes through except for on the driver's side door. The car came with a momo wheel, a decent interior, hella h4s, new tires and some new parts. Here's some photos of how it began:

d751c149.jpg

1072fe78.jpg

97cc358e.jpg

07103b53.jpg

fa66f8fe.jpg

I think it's a pretty good start, and I'm happy that I can drive it while I work on it.

I'm simultaniously working on a 91 325ic so I'll be documenting some of that in here as well. I just received a new top for it and ordered a rear seat from Kevin Chin. It looks to be a fun project also.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

So, I haven't done much with this thing since I got it but I was able to do some work today. Here's what I accomplished:

New wires, cap rotor and plugs

Adjusted the timing to smooth things out

Added a hose from the valve cover to the air filter and included a check valve in the middle

New valve cover gasket (the valve cover was held on by finger tight castle nuts)

New oil cap

New fuel filter

02again EGR block off plate (backing those old studs out was a bitch - I broke one off, removed the other and couldn't get the short one out)

Plugged up the fuel return line on the fuel sender

Installed a new fuel sender O-ring to help the fuel smell in the cabin

Changed the oil - I suspect it was using something other than 20W50 because it smoked a lot.

After all of the above it runs a lot smoother and doesn't smoke as much. I came to the conclusion that this block is pretty worn out, though. The check valve I put in the breather hose whistles from all of the blow-by. As soon as I get a garage I'll start building a new motor for it.

Some other parts that I have for it are:

Euro turn signals

A good passenger's fender (the turn signal area is rusty)

A good used driver's door

A shorty rear chrome bumper

Euro license plate lights for said bumper

Front timing cover gaskets and a new water pump

A 73 front bumper that's not in very good shape

Some other misc small pieces...

My plan for the rust is to wire wheel it off, hit it with some self etching primer, fill in all of the pitting, block it out and then spray it with some paintscratch.com inka. It's only temporary until I paint the whole thing but it need s a lot more work before I get to that point.

Here's the engine bay after some work and cleaning:

cdbca527.jpg

What do you guys think?

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

I forgot to mention that it came with some long tube headers, petronix and sweet air horns.

When in the trunk I noticd that the vapor catch can was missing. To prevent fumed I blocked off the vent hose but I suspect that was a bad idea. Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Also, the carb has a strange wire running to it. It doesn't look like an electric choke because the water setup is there. Any ideas?

One more thing - this car is one vin later that harryPR's black car and is not far from my first car - another 76 california 2002 but in siennabraun.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Nice.. I am 2 years into my '75 resto and still have a long way to go.

My vapor catch container (under the package shelf) had a hose from the gas

tank inlet to the vapor catch container.. and then one from the catch

container through the interior (following the fuel line) into the engine bay.

I think this engine bay hose was somehow connected to the emissions junk, which is long gone on mine.

So if you have the second line going to the engine bay, you might just connect the two and then vent in the engine bay. But not sure if you need to find or fabricate a replacement vapor catch container to make that work properly.

I'll keep checking your progress. keep the pix coming!

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

My '76 has a lot of blow by so I just tried to seal off the cabin as much as possible -- even if that just meant doing stuff like sealing off small holes under the parcel shelf, etc. with metal tape. After a couple of weeks of tracking stuff down and sealing it off, I noticed a big difference or, I should say, it was what I didn't notice.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

I forgot to mention that it came with some long tube headers, petronix and sweet air horns.

When in the trunk I noticd that the vapor catch can was missing. To prevent fumed I blocked off the vent hose but I suspect that was a bad idea. Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Also, the carb has a strange wire running to it. It doesn't look like an electric choke because the water setup is there. Any ideas?

One more thing - this car is one vin later that harryPR's black car and is not far from my first car - another 76 california 2002 but in siennabraun.

The wire probably went to the idle shutoff solenoid on the original Solex 32/32 DIDTA.

The line for the vapor recovery system that ran from the plastic cannister in the trunk terminated in the engine compartment on a round metal charcoal cannister. Another line ran from the charcoal cannister and tapped into a vacuum line that ran from vacuum source on the intake manifold. If you have the owners manula or a Haynes manual it will show the routing of the original install. There was also a sticker under the hood that depicted the vacuum hose routing.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Hey Pat! Glad you have my ex-car's brother (I miss mine....). Looks like you have some pretty good plans with it. I will have to live vicariously through you guys' projects until I can re-start the touring (or get myself a less epic project).

By the way, maybe some of the NC guys know the car and will post more info.

Looking forward to future updates!

Cheers,

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

The wire probably went to the idle shutoff solenoid on the original Solex 32/32 DIDTA.

The line for the vapor recovery system that ran from the plastic cannister in the trunk terminated in the engine compartment on a round metal charcoal cannister. Another line ran from the charcoal cannister and tapped into a vacuum line that ran from vacuum source on the intake manifold. If you have the owners manula or a Haynes manual it will show the routing of the original install. There was also a sticker under the hood that depicted the vacuum hose routing.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

What's the prudent thing to do with the vent box? I'm thinking I'll run the line from the filler neck to the box and run the line out through the fuel return line and let it vent down by the trailing arm. Bad idea?

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Today I purchased the following:

Early front bumper ends - the ones without the rub strips (mine are rusted out)

A stock 2bbl air cleaner w/ brackets (I hate the K&N)

A summer box

Intake bellows

The gas tank vent box

A shift knob and boot w/ the retaining ring (mine has a one piece boot and know that has shrunk)

I plan on mounting the front bumper via the 1.75 inch pipe method mentioned here. For the rear of the car - I don't know what I'll do. I may leave the 3 holes until I have a garage and buy a welder.

Also, it's a shame that I can't utilize both parts of the summer box because I have headers. Does the 02again manifold have provisions for the heat shield that the aluminum hose runs to?

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i