• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 75 inka 2002 project

PSloan

Patrick,

I guess it depends on your sensibilities. Some members of this group actually have routed the vent as per the european methodology through the trunk/boot floor to atmosphere, similiar to what you described.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

• 2 weeks later...

I said I'd keep up with my e30 convertible top replacement on here - so here's some photos of the top gone:

0a85b5be.jpg

5744ae32.jpg

b1ec0ea2.jpg

Note the tri-color interior:

fac279fb.jpg

Removing the top was a btch. It's been replaced before - and apparently by hacks. There was silicone slathered everywhere and the rivets were occasionally replaced by crappy screws. Having that said, I'm fortunate that all of the gaskets were salvagable. Up tp this point nothing has been particually difficult - just follow the instructions from world uph. Today I'm going to remove all of the adhesive from the frame and hopefully install the top.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 1 month later...

This thing is in worse shape than I thought. It doesn't help that I tried to do some body work on it when I was dead tired and in a hurry. The pitting on this rust is horrible. It needs a new trunk, 2 new doors, a fender and some floor repair. Rockers, frame rails and shock towers are good - which is a relief. Something may be lurking in the rear windows.

I'm thinking about slapping on turbo flares and an airdam. I sourced an m42 with a blown headgasket for cheap. $200 for the motor, harness, accesories, ECU, getrag 240, clutch assembly and radiator. The head may need a rebuild but even after all that I'll be in good shape. I know it will never be a concourse car or even a really nice car - so I'm going to have some fun with it. I guess a rusty 76 is good for that.

After the below picture was taken I took the rear bumper off, repainted my tail light housings and sanded the rust off the trunk. The trunk needs to be replaced. The rust is unstoppable. I need a few more parts to get the new bumper on - se we'll see how it looks then.

post-635-13667638803927_thumb.jpg

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 1 month later...

Much better.

The paintscratch paint is sort of hard to apply but looks good once you get it on thick. There were a couple of holes behind the tail lights but none very large or intimidating. I wound up using stock brackets to mount the bumper.

post-635-13667641056744_thumb.jpg

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

This car came from Atlanta? Don't think i saw it on craigslist but I don't check every day. Good luck with the project.

Actually the guy met me in atlanta. I drove from houston and he drove from NC.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 2 months later...

I haven't done anything to this car except drive it. I've flirted with buying an AC console for it but I don't think it's worth my effort at this point. This thing needs a lot of work.

As an aside, I'm going to look at a sub 100k mile m42 with a JB aluminim flywheel tomorrow. I've given jake the go ahead to fab me up a bracket kit so I guess buying a motor is the next step. It comes with the g240, DS, harness, ECU and some accesories. I think a chip and COP conversion will accompany the 8lb flywheel nicely.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i