• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix Turbo in Griots Garage Handbook # 320

jgerock

The newest Griot's handbook it is the cover car.

Go to http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/having+fun/about+our+cover+cars.do and you get a discription of all of their cover cars for the last couple of years. Along with a bunch of pictures they did not use in the handbooks

The wheels are original Minilites complete with November and December 1974 manufacture dates. The car was just finished this last July and ran for the first time in over 24 years. It really has only 40,552 miles on it. I found it in England with a cracked cylinder head and the engine out. I purchased it from the 2nd owner who bought it in that condition. I thought I could just get it running because the pictures of the body looked very good. Turned out the paint was not so good so it got stripped to bare metal and repainted. Mission Creep at it's finest.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Holy smokes, that's a gorgeous car. Congratulations!

On an off-topic note, last Saturday was my first visit to Griot's. I'll have to go back more often to their first Saturday events. John1180 on this board organized the local 02 owners' attendance.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

BMW did not offer them but I am sure there were dealers that installed them in the day.

I choose these wheels for a number of reasons,

I have a set of the factory turbo steel wheels with 185/70 VR 13 Miechlins but wanted something nicer.

I like the 13X5" factory alloys but did not want to go from a 51/2 wide wheel.

I really don't like the look of the 13X6" "turbo"wheel.

I have always liked the original Minilite. When I found these with 1974 manufacture dates on them that really sealed the deal for me.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

what color did you have them refinished in? it looks like graphite?

sometime in the next year or two i will need to have mine done.

i have always liked minilites too and the PO of our tii had them for sale at the time we bought the car.

my tii was a griots handbook cover car about 3 years ago

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

BMW did not offer them but I am sure there were dealers that installed them in the day.

I have always liked the original Minilite. When I found these with 1974 manufacture dates on them that really sealed the deal for me.

Several of us in the DC area looked at a rusty Colorado 72tii that had a full set of (5) Minilite wheels. I bet the wheels were worth more than the entire car. If I had room, I would have bought the car for parts.

sparetire.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks, I did not do a project blog, being in the vintage race car business it took me a very long time to do this. Start to finish about 5 1/2 years total, it was hard to stay motivated when I spend all week working on customer's cars it was hard to turn that off and really get any work done on my own project. My painter fit it in between other jobs he had going. He did a fantastic job and every time he called with "I've got a rush job that just came in" I had no problem telling him he should push it aside and get back to it when he could.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

what color did you have them refinished in? it looks like graphite?

sometime in the next year or two i will need to have mine done.

i have always liked minilites too and the PO of our tii had them for sale at the time we bought the car.

my tii was a griots handbook cover car about 3 years ago

They are powder coated and I need to go back and check the color. They are more grey than I wanted. I might have them re done

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Off topic but that 1947 Ford Tractor is painted the wrong colors... It's a 9N, the 9N was painted a darker grey where the light grey is on that one and a dark blue where the red is. The color scheme shown was 8N only. Other than that it is a wonderful tractor!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2