• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlantik Blue

ROBONE20

Just picked up a '73 roundie last month. I'm getting estimates on paint and bodywork, and I've been contemplating on the color. Would like opinions on whether I should paint original Atlantik or other '02 color. I really like Inka, Malaga, and Polaris, but I'm not quite sold on Atlantik. The car I bought has a terrible paint job on it (Green and Black) but I was told the original color was Atlantik. Can anyone post some photos of their Atlantik '02? Thanks!!

Don't change the color unless you do the engine bay/trunk/door jams when you do the re-paint.

This topic of changing the color has been covered a LOT of times here on the FAQ.

Paint your car a color that makes YOU smile when you look at it.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

When I do paint it, I plan on doing the engine bay, trunk, etc etc. I guess those colors I mentioned above make me smile. I'm leaning towards the Atlantik color because it was the original color, but I wanted to see some examples first. Not sure if it makes me smile more than an Inka colored one. I've read some of the threads on here, but I can't seem to find some photos of Atlantik '02's. Thanks for your response.

wow! i have a 72 Malaga i am having painted the original color and wish it was an Atlantik. I like the blues much better than the red 2002s.

But my point is, i am not changing the color. Keep it original unless it has a salvaged title or something. Then do whatever you want with it.

We can look for one another on the 405 or 5 and yearn for what the other guy has! ha ha...

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Sislane - wow that color almost looks black, I'm diggin' it. The chrome does contrast nicely on this color. Love the wheels. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Frenchee - thanks for the vote.

Esty - I haven't seen red interior on any '02's, but that does seem cool. I was thinking either tan or classic black interior. I'm glad you chimed in because I always hear great things about your carpet kits. I'll be needing a kit from you soon.

Shad - OOoooohh, totally diggin' it. I like the bottlecaps on it. Did you put a front spoiler on this car? Atlantik is starting to appeal to me. Thanks for sharing..

Originally I had the air dam painted at the same time as the car, looked much better color matched to the car. A fatal run in with a large racoon destroyed it. (fatal for the racoon and air dam). The air dam in the picture is the unpainted IE dam that replaced it. Thanks for the compliment, I miss seeing her in street attire sometimes. Guess I need to get another one for around town driving.

-s

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

My first '02 was Atlantik (still is)! It's a very under-appreciated color IMO. Very vintage looking and it looks great with the chrome attributes of a stock '02. Why do you think I named all those '02 gatherings in the early 2000's "Mid-Atlantik '02 Fest"!??? :-)

Stick with it...you won't be sorry!

John

post-238-13667633679125_thumb.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"