• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber 32/36

mikea

Hmm...

Actually, if the 'idle bypass' valve is still working

(not a normal occurrence, but possible)

it will help prolong the life of your idle valve.

It relieves fuel pump pressure when the throttle's

(mostly) closed.

I have one of those on a shelf, and it DOES still seem to function.

Who knew?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

be sure and disconnect it at the fuel tank and plug the inlet. otherwise when you fill the gas tank it'll siphon out at the disconnect end under the hood, with possibly disastrous results (like a fire).

Just experienced the siphon phenomenon (no fire, fortunately) last weekend with a friend's 75 with a newly filled gas tank parked on the slightest slope.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've not seen this or done this but make sure you install some kind of safety wire on the return line plug (might even be on there as I'm not sure of the safety feature).

I only say this as I've just bought an engine with this carb that was fitted second hand and unbeknown to the owner the fuel return line plug wasn't secure.

He did 20,000 miles before the plug went west resulting in fuel pumping across his valve cover and the inevitable engine fire. It was a write-off.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg