• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator fan delete

lsixt

'74 2002, Metric Mechanic motor, dual 40's, 320 radiator, water neck with both temp and aux fan sensors.

Car at one time "had" A/C so I still have the A/C aux fan in the car, all of the other A/C equipment is NOT installed.

I want to run without the plastic fan (already had one explode that destroyed my first 320 radiator).

I'd wire the A/C fan to the aux sensor along with manual switch.

Question: Is the A/C aux fan enough to allow me to remove the plastic radiator fan or not?

Thanks,

Len

I didn't think about that one....

What it I get hit by a truck when I'm stuck?

Sorry, but I'm really looking for an answer to the question, not some hypothetical question in return that is obviously useless to me or anyone else.

A more appropriate approach may have been to ask how old the fan is... for all you know it may actually be new or recently rebuilt. The later being the case here.

During the rebuild, I was going to replace the A/C, but it didn't work out. However the fan is a rebuild, so can we get this back to my original question?

Thanks,

Len

The a/c fan alone is marginal here in the Seattle area, I don't think it would do it in the Florida heat when stuck in traffic. to be safe I would get a aftermarket fan. YMMV

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

AC fan alone won't cut it in SoCal. Get a big fan and stick it in there. The hotrod guys are particularly fond of the big Ford fans from the wrecker's, not so much because they're $20, but because they are so strong. You can be cool as long as you want, but you can only be hot once.

I have not had any overheating problems after I deleted the plastic fan a couple of years ago and installed a Flex-a-lite flx-112 in front of the stock radiator.

I live in the Seattle area and temperatures rarely get into the 90s but even then the electric fan was more than adequate.

I have no idea if the stock auxiliary fan would perform as well.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I'm going with a Derale - pusher - puts out 2,210 CFM.

I think I'm set.

Thanks everyone!

Which model? The 12" pusher I saw puts out only 860 CFM. Its hard to get too much bigger than a 12" fan into the front of the 02. I used a 12" High performance Spal.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-push-part-2030-p-199.html?cPath=33

Its got 1260 CFM and was MORE than adequate idling in 110 degree heat in Phoenix. Kept the car perfectly cool.

Also get Lee's Massive 12" Spal mounting brackets. Makes the job SUPER simple. The brackets makes the fan mount in the radiator mounting holes no drilling required!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I'm going with a Derale - pusher - puts out 2,210 CFM.

I think I'm set.

Thanks everyone!

Which model? The 12" pusher I saw puts out only 860 CFM. Its hard to get too much bigger than a 12" fan into the front of the 02. I used a 12" High performance Spal.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-push-part-2030-p-199.html?cPath=33

Its got 1260 CFM and was MORE than adequate idling in 110 degree heat in Phoenix. Kept the car perfectly cool.

Also get Lee's Massive 12" Spal mounting brackets. Makes the job SUPER simple. The brackets makes the fan mount in the radiator mounting holes no drilling required!

Here is the one that works for me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-112

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.