• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help with radio purchase

crybert

i have a 1972 2002 tii with a behr a/c and i have been looking for a head unit for months, but everywhere i look (crutchfield.com and best buy.com) it seems like every radio i choose the website says the radio will not fit. i just would like to know what head units you guys have in your 02.

There are very few stereos that will fit.

I purchased a factory remanufactured Kenwood KDC-MP532U from Crutchfield and it fit. As Paul mentioned, you will have to enlarge the front Behr panel to accept the DIN-sized unit. The backside of the panel should already have a line to follow - you just have to cut it out and use a file to finish the opening.

32109018.jpg

32109013.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

A slightly different option that I am working on is to get an old Becker stereo like Europa II or similar, fix it (they are all shot, I am working on mine right now) and have a pair of RCA/Ipod input and output jack installed. You need an external power amp. You can connect ipod, mpeg player or little flash cards, even a cd changer. Basically you are using the Becker (or any old German radio) as a pre-amp to process the line level signals and provide output to the power amp. It will fit the old consoles. It is not a cheap option but I like the period correct look and function.

Gotta love the old Beckers!

Beckerinstall.jpg

yes Bob, especially when they are working! There is a retro Becker radio

available from several places and ebay (Chinese made) but it is promising; Here is one link:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Classic/retro%20replacement.html

Probably cheaper on ebay (about $160). The Becker guys will fix any old German radio for about 150-200 bucks, not inexpensive but they have the parts and restoration repro items such as dials buttons etc. These little things cannot be repaired easily by your local repair shop, they may not even touch them.

I have one of those retro Becker radios. Made by an outfit called Custom Autosound. I ended up changing my mind before installing it, but it looks decent and has all the modern stuff. I think I will list it in the parts for sale section.

I ended up going with a new Alpine, with a custom console insert.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Gotta love the old Beckers!

Beckerinstall.jpg

yes Bob, especially when they are working! There is a retro Becker radio

available from several places and ebay (Chinese made) but it is promising; Here is one link:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Classic/retro%20replacement.html

Probably cheaper on ebay (about $160). The Becker guys will fix any old German radio for about 150-200 bucks, not inexpensive but they have the parts and restoration repro items such as dials buttons etc. These little things cannot be repaired easily by your local repair shop, they may not even touch them.

I agree, Al! I was lucky to pick this one up last year, but it lacked the auxiliary amp. I picked one of those up from an FAQer at a decent price, so all is good for now.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Bob; even better if you can find an older tube radio from 60s. Yummy stuff. Tubes (aka valves) sound so much better. The only problem with tube radios is they are mono (at least the ones I know). Tubes are still available, some are made new in Russia and China. Anyways, the Europa II is really a great little radio, should sound much better with a powerful modern aux amp. Nothing beats good old German stuff, built to last. Modern units looks so much out of place in a 2002 (my personal opinion).