• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue engine block with big red oil pan? Head Removal tips?

josh72ooh2

in regards to my parts car...

the radiator exploded when it was hit and the engine bay was covered with grime.

I finally sifted through the engine bay only to realize that the engine block is blue and has a big red oil pan.

The serial number does not match the car. it is 4225765 or 4225705

and stamped above the number and upside down is a 2-C.

does this mean anything... yet?

I need to pull the head off and see what kind of pistons are on there.

does anybody have a link or any advice on removing the timing chain and popping the E12 head off? I've never done it before... but looking forward to it.

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

about 2/3 of the way through the production run (4220001-4230601). Block and pan were originally painted a very unimaginative black.

The car's original engine must have given up the ghost somewhere along the line.

Should have an E12 head and 2 bbl carb.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Drain the block thru the block drains located approx between cyl 3 & 4 and 1-2 inches below the head block joint. If you don't you will flood the cylinders with any coolant still in there and have a tough time drying out the rings. If you don't get the rings dry, you run the risk of pitting the cast iron cylinders. The pits will run deep too if left wet too long.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.