• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what parts from '85 318i are interchangeable with an 02?

osbourne

Can anyone tell me which parts, from a 318i of '85 vintage, will bolt on to a 2002? I'm thinking 5 speed, and I suspect the engine would be a suitable core for rebuild to 2 liter.....but how about the radiator, the dif, etc?

Thanks

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

The alternator can be used on a tii. I believe the alternator and the e30 bracket can be used on a 2002. The A/C compressor, oil pan and filter head are similar to the S14 M3 and may be of use to someone. Of course the engine and fuel injection and wiring are nice upgrades to a 2002, depending on what you want. Here's a few related threads:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,331930/highlight,318i+parts/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,314585/highlight,318i+parts/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,214037/highlight,318i+parts/

I have a 318i shortblock motor (M10B18) in my '02. Changed out the oil pan and oil pump but otherwise fits without modifications. Changed out to a 320i 5 speed and LSD at the same time. Kept the electronic ignition but converted to a Weber. No problems. Keep in mind that the cam gear and dizzy aren't interchangeable, so you can't use these on an earlier M10 motor.

early E30 318s with M10 motors have trannys with plugs where the mechanical speedo drives go. Apparently they were using up stocks of the mechanically identical E21 5 speeds, and just plugged the case. I've also heard that removing the plug and adding the speedo drive gear will make the mechanical speedo drive linkage functional.

Can anyone confirm this? Might enlarge the pool of potential "easy" five speeds for swaps into 2002s...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

early E30 318s with M10 motors have trannys with plugs where the mechanical speedo drives go. Apparently they were using up stocks of the mechanically identical E21 5 speeds, and just plugged the case. I've also heard that removing the plug and adding the speedo drive gear will make the mechanical speedo drive linkage functional.

Can anyone confirm this? Might enlarge the pool of potential "easy" five speeds for swaps into 2002s...

mike

That is correct. In fact, there is a blog showing how to do it (to install mechanical speedo gear), I have seen it, but can't find it now.