• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Recaro seats

Yes, there was a few options...The 76s had the factory option for the e21 Recaros, and if I recall there was a Recaro Sport seat that was an option for earlier cars...not a common option.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

there was a very cool and rare Recaro option..the seat looked very much like the Porsche Sport seat option of the late 60s/early70s......this seat was not an e21 style.

There are pics of a car so equipped on this board.

Maybe CD/others will chime in...

Not positive, but these may be that rare option:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,544126/highlight,/sid,751c0704470d67409d3887402e6ada22/

Thanks for the info you guys posted. Those pics are great! The Factory Recars are pretty cool. I like the chrome piece on the seats in the link posted. Its similar to that on the standard seats which makes them appealing. That tilt function is pretty funky though. I just picked up a set of Recaros that were described as being factory from a '74 tii, but they appear to be nicely redone e21 seats instead. Too bad the original owner didn't order my car with Recaros and the CR 5spd.

'73 2002

'00 M5

Thanks for the info you guys posted. Those pics are great! The Factory Recars are pretty cool. I like the chrome piece on the seats in the link posted. Its similar to that on the standard seats which makes them appealing. That tilt function is pretty funky though. I just picked up a set of Recaros that were described as being factory from a '74 tii, but they appear to be nicely redone e21 seats instead. Too bad the original owner didn't order my car with Recaros and the CR 5spd.

I had never known of these SPORT seaTS....but faq set me straight..... I THINK THEY ARE FANTASTIC........ but they seem very very rare.......not so much in the 911 world though:

They pull over $2-3k used when avail!!!!

McCartney's restoration book. They were called "sports" seats in the factory literature--they were made by Recaro and weren't fitted to US export cars. Look on "realoem" -- type in for a Euro 2002ti and look at the page for sports seats--you'll see the seat in question complete with the gas strut that allows the whole seat to tilt forward per the FAQ entry picture.

If you look elsewhere in the 2002 section of realoem, you'll find another style of Recaro sports seat, one that apparently doesn't tip forward in its entireity, and yet a third sports seat made by Scheel. But none were available on US cars--at least not those that came through Hoffman Motors.

They might show up occasionally on US cars that were direct-ordered from the factory by military or diplomatic folks, but I don't believe they were "certified" by our Federal safety folks.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Was there an option for factory Recaro seats on 02s other than the turbo? How common was this option if it existed? Any pictures?

In the very early 1970s you could get Scheel seats as an (extremely rare) option. Perhaps it was dealer option.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I am the owner of the seats shown in Mark's blog. They are possibly the best thing I have bought for the car - I love them! They are not quite as firm as the e21 seats, I think the padding is slightly deeper and you really sit down low and snug in them. I personally find them very comfortable and could go a long while in them without complaint.

The tilt mechanism is a bit funky and there's not really a way of propping them forward and even though they're lighter than stock seats you know about it when they fall back on you!

The pictures I sent Mark are a bit crap as they were from when I was building the car and had literally just thrown them in - I will take some better pics and post for those interested.

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris