• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo Oil feed + Oil cooler (Or maybe + remote oil)

smhheidari

Hi guys, i have searched but nothin useful!!!

i have a very important question, and here u are.

i wanna setup a turbo engine which has a oil cooler system, so i wanna know that can i make a oil circuit like these pictures?

if not, whats the problem?

and if i use a sandwich adaptor will it hit the steering box?

Thanks alot!

post-17839-13667627238677_thumb.jpg

post-17839-13667627239701_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1366762724008_thumb.jpg

SMH Heidari - Iranian 02er

depends on what you do with the car...do you race it ? do you haul a trailer ?

there is a lot of missleading info about the use of an oil cooler...most of the time it is not required. Oil need to be at a specific temperature range to do its job, if its too cold it is bad for your engine.

using a sandwich type oil cooler may make the filter hit the steering box, you may want to use a 90 deg. elbow, like the E30. i have a complete E30 325is oil cooler on my turbo 02 with an internal thermostat. It did cost me like 50$ at local jy. Some work is needed to make it fit.

I have to roadrace the car mad mad mad to hit the temperature opening point for the thermostat.

For the turbo oil feed you need flow, not presure so get it at the oil filter head, where the Tii gets their oil feed taped normaly.

Good luck if you want to use oem turbo bit$$$.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Yeah, Pat's right... oil cooler is probably only needed for extreme temps/racing. I use the e30 M3 oil filter head, and yeah, oil filter clearance is tight at the steering box. I didn't use the sensors in the filter housing and instead used an adaptor to mount my oil feed line. Like the 325 housing Pat mentioned, the M3 has an internal thermostat...

post-119-1366762724393_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I wanna use it for street race and drag!

as u guys know im livin in iran so i cant order the S14 or Turbo filter housing!

and the drag race is in summer here and temp will probably between 30 and 45 that will make the car crash!

the oil cooler is for that!

i just wanna know that my samples were right or not (i mean can i use that "T" circuit for turbo oil feed or not)

if not i should do some custom works on my stock housing to make 2 more holes!

1 for turbo oil feed and one for oil temp!

turbo oil feed should be before or after filtered oil?

what about temp sensor?

Lebowski post more clear pics please :D

SMH Heidari - Iranian 02er

Most sandwitch type oil cooler adaptors cool the oil BEFORE it is run through the filter, You want to make sure you use FILTERED oil to supply oil to your turbo. You can do this with a Tii filter housing and a sandwitch type cooler adaptor or just pull the stock housing off your engine and drill and tap in the same place on the housing the Tii injection pump oil line is mounted. You can then just make it a 1/8 NPT and use an AN (Aeroquip etc) line to the turbo.

If all you are doing is drag racing you don't really need an oil cooler, at most you will be at full power less than 13 seconds and then you have time to let things cool down. You would be much better off making sure you have enough Water Radiator to keep it cool.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I don't have many more photos to show the oil filter housing... too much crap in the way. I think your T for the oil cooler would have to be pretty low profile to not interfere with the steering box.

You can put sensors for your oil pressure and temp up at the original sender location by the distributor with an adapter from parkerperformance.com. I think the 325 housing can be modified for an oil cooler... I just don't know that it would be necessary for anything other than sustained hard use.

I have never seen my oil temp rise high enough to actually cycle through the oil cooler.

post-17946-13667627259178_thumb.jpg

post-17946-13667627261505_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

You can do that.

You'll need a thin sandwich- maybe Canton?

Not over 30mm.

Then it will fit.

Oil filter changes will be hard.

Very hard.

Put the battery in the trunk...

Yes, you should use filtered oil.

Drill & tap the center boss of the filter housing.

It's easier, anyway, than tapping a big line.

No, you should not race on the street. Go somewhere where

if you lose your shit, you'll at least not take anyone else with you.

Yes, in Iran with 30+ degree ambient temps, you may need a cooler.

Especially with a turbo. Put a temperature gauge in, and if the oil

doesn't hit 80, tape up part of the cooler.

And have fun!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

For the oil cooler I use a Perma-Cool sandwich plate (thin, as Toby says) and a short oil filter to clear the steering box. Oil changes are not hard, but battery and tray no longer in engine bay. I change the filter more often since it has less filter area. These short filters have been discussed before on the forum, I have a list of them I can post if need be.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)