• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30 Day Overhaul.... Gone Haywire!!!

Clownman

Oh and even got the girlfriend out there to help! Chris

Congrats on the progress Chris! My wife helps me out when I need her help in the garage. She helped me with the front axle beam and while removing the engine from the Bug.

Someday - all of us NCC'rs will have a special event involving the spouses.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and even got the girlfriend out there to help! Chris

Congrats on the progress Chris! My wife helps me out when I need her help in the garage. She helped me with the front axle beam and while removing the engine from the Bug.

Someday - all of us NCC'rs will have a special event involving the spouses.

If our spouses get together and chat, several topics are likely to arise:

1. Cost

2. Time

3. Grease on clothing, furniture, floors

4. Cost

Are you sure you want our spouses to get together?

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

If our spouses get together and chat, several topics are likely to arise:

1. Cost

2. Time

3. Grease on clothing, furniture, floors

4. Cost

Are you sure you want our spouses to get together?

Note I didn't mention anything about "revealing of the receipts". My wife is very happy that I have a Vintage BMW and have met lots of great friends.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

chris...pretty gutsy having the GF work on an greasy engine in a WHITE sweatshirt! :-)

cost? what cost? i have a drawer with every receipt from building race cars for last 10 years. thankfully it is so full that neither I nor anyone else can get it open enough to get them out and run the total....

2xM3

Come to think of it, maybe my wife should discuss costs with your wives after all. I'm guessing that by comparison with you two, I haven't spent all that much on my clownmobile.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Actually the owner of the shop where my car is actually wants all of us to come over one day. (Probably when I finish my car)

The initial plan is a small car get together of local friends with sweet cars, from the old muscle cars that they play with to the racing cars that we fly by them in. And after the mayhem of that Paul is working on a projection screen and projector and Rusty and I are trying to figure out how to set up an FM transmitter to work through our radios transmitting a movie... Picture drive in theater projected on the side of the shop. Once I get more word on this ill let you guys know... But for now lets keep the prices out of the picture, I still have a lot more to buy.

Chris

So today I finished up taking apart the top end and even got it to the machine shop. Precision Engine Machine Co. will be doing all of the block and head work for me but Rusty and I will be doing the final assembly of the motor. Overall I'm very happy, everything came apart with relative ease and to my surprise Paul even had a valve spring compressor. I have yet to ask him for a tool that he did not have!!! Still amazes me every time I'm out at the shop! Oh and even got the girlfriend out there to help! Well onto the pics.

Chris

Alright! Looking like some progress is being made, Chris!

I hope that Jan at Precision treats you right. He is a pretty down to earth guy, so I don't think that you should be worried at all. Just don't ask him for any ideas on how to get more power. He'll rattle off strategies all day long!

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

• 2 weeks later...

So I pulled the trigger on my bank account today by ordering my turbo. Finally decided on a Garrett GT2860RS .60 trim all around. After reading, and re-reading hundreds of posts I's very confident that I should be in my ballpark hp range of 220-250 hp with that turbo and the 292 cam.

Here is a rough run down of whats going on.

blocks getting decked honed and bored for 8.5:1 pistons

ARP fasteners everywhere

possibly new con rods

rocker locks, rockers, rocker rails

oversize valves, new guides and seals,

windage tray

Turbo

666 manifold

Tial BOV and Wastegate

Megasquirt and Ford EDIS ignition with 318 manifold and associated parts

and a whole bunch more!!!

Any one see any gaping holes in my logic here? I think I am being very conservative on my HP goals as I am making this thing bullet proof!!! So so knows maybe one day ill see 300... LOL not anytime soon though.

Chirs

So so knows maybe one day ill see 300... LOL not anytime soon though.

Chirs

Yeah, better wait a few weeks for the 300+.

Are they working you extra hard over at the Academy? You can't even spell your own name anymore.

Grice

williamggruff

Yea sorry bout that Marshall, we wound up leaving at the half to go wash one of the suits so that me and one of my other guys could go do the basketball game on base. Glad you enjoyed the game, I was a bit sick from all the welding earlier that day so that night was not so fun.

Looking forward to get this build moving, the break over thanksgiving is going to allow me to read the Mega Manual and educate myself with the Megasquirt system so that when I possibly meet and talk with Bruce Bowling, I don't look like a total fool. One of my instructors said that he invited him to the academy because he is local and I'm gonna see if he wants to go to lunch in the dining hall. Should be interesting.

Chris

Sweet build, pretty much mirrors what I'm doing! It's good to know there's someone else who's maps should be near identical to mine if I end up having problems tuning.

Have you built the head already? M10 valves are already pretty big and the increase in possible airflow is negligible with a turbo'd motor. A 3-angle back cut will do more for flow than 1mm oversize valves. Have you read "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" or "Four-Stroke Performance Tuning" by Graham Bell? They are absolutely excellent! I bought a few other books before those two because of the cost(at the time ~35$/ea) but both the Graham Bell books are far and away more informative.

I was thinking the same thing on that valves, 1mm is probably not gonna help that much especially when boosted. As for the book I have a few, currently re-reading Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and I have skimmed and trough the Bell book, Forced Induction Performance Tuning. Both are very good books thus far.

I hope that I get word on my head and block by next week sometime. Then i can order all the other parts from IE. Where do you get your engine parts from?

I actually bought the motor from my friend, but he got everything from IE. Since they're having a sale after thanksgiving I'll probably pick up the HD rocker arms just for extra insurance. He also didn't install SS valves to my knowledge but I've got a set I'm going to throw in when I drop the motor in.