• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30 Day Overhaul.... Gone Haywire!!!

Clownman

Ok guys I have about 30 days to get a lot done on my 75' 02.

Under the car....

Complete overhaul, powder coat everything, Stage 2, Billy Sports, Poly Bushings everywhere... undercoat everything.... basically I'm removing the entire underside of the car and making it look like new...

Interior...

Mount the Recaro's

Complete new stereo... you guys will love this...

Custom door panels and rear panels

Possible back seat delete....

New center console

New steering wheel

New custom gauges and switch panel

Custom trunk panels

Exterior

Fill all trim holes except for belt line

Fill all side marker lights

Relocate gas filler to rear panel between tail lights

Turbo flares and dam... huge project....

New tires and wheels

Possible projects....

Engine and drive train....

Auto to 5 speed swap

LSD

Ok enough with the typing and the reading... here are some pictures of where its at now....

Updates will start hopefully this weekend... first will be the entire suspension and then audio and interior... wish me luck here goes nothing...

Chris

Annapolis MD

post-17057-13667627219604_thumb.jpg

post-17057-1366762722134_thumb.jpg

post-17057-1366762722284_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627224218_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

School... I'm starting my 3rd year at the Naval Academy and I have another training block this summer starting around the 25th of July.... I will be working from sun up to sun down everyday... should go pretty quick. And with help and advice from guys like yourself it should be fun!!!

Chris

oh yes! i forgot you were at USNA. turn to midshipman! :-)

you live in annapolis also?

looking forward to the progress. If you need parts, i just went through that suspension and interior process on my 75 and have a decent selection of spares, including good brake hardlines.

Marshall

USCGA '81 - geez i am old, i will turn 30yrs active duty before you graduate.....

2xM3

hold off on that 5sp and 3.91 lsd... if interested, i may have a complete kit for that available later this summer as i disect a car that contains them. may also have a hot eric kerman engine available out of my 75 when the S14 goes in.......

2xM3

Marshall,

That would be awesome. Funny, I too was looking at Korman for a rebuild of a separate engine that I could just swap out at a later date. On Monday I'm heading to PA to go to a junk yard to scout the yard for some parts for the disk brake conversion along with some other parts for the swap to the 5 speed and LSD but if your serious about the S14 conversion I'm all about getting the whole kit from you, that would make it way simpler!!! How do you like it anyways?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Quick note 1: Korman Autoworks and Eric Kerman are different folks.

Quick note 2: Let me know if I can provide some weekend assistance.

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Oh wow, I did not even notice the spelling until I read it again! Thanks for the offer Grice it's out on the Eastern Shore right now, that's where I will be working on it, a bit of a drive but hey all the help is appreciated! I may have to swing by and rummage through your guys parts pile that you have there at the house... if I cant find a 320i radiator anywhere I may hit you up for one.

Chris

i have a spare 320 radiator, and an electric fan to go with it if you need it now.

yes, I am serious about the drive train. the m2 i bought for the engine alone has a bunch stuff on it i won't need. including, but not limited to;

3.91 lsd

5spd

5spd driveshaft

5spd shift tower

another 320 radiator

another elec fan

billy sports

eibach springs

i have all that stuff in my good car already, or better. once i put the s14 in my good car this fall/winter, the eric kerman engine in my good car will need to go. it includes

recent complete rebuild (under 10k miles)

185psi compression on all 4 cyls

new 9.5 pistons

balanced crank

kerman head

292 schrick cam

schrick valve springs

new water pump

tii block

tii clutch and flywheel

ansa header

straight pipe center exhaust section

i also have three sets of dcoe's i may be parting with since the s14 is injected (two sets 40's, one set 45's) .

if you need a complete conversion from the elec fan back to the diff that will go like stink and can wait a bit, we should talk. drive train won't be available until i get the s14 in my good car. not really advertising it yet for sale until it is disconnected....just a heads up

also have another stock engine and two 4spd trannys "extra".....actually have enough parts to build a really nice, completely rust free 76.

2xM3

Ok so the first day of work resulted in a flying 2002!!! After about an hour of cutting up some old 4x4's and some plywood we now have some very sturdy jack stand extensions. It took a bit of work to get it up there but its there and its solid!

The only real work done on the car was the removal of the exhaust, very rusty but a 2' breaker bar sheared the exhaust bolts clean off. As for the Ansa exhaust... yea its history! There was a hole about the size of a quarter in the middle of the case that was once patched with some JB Weld stuff. Oh and the drive shaft was partially removed.

Tomorrow the rear subframe will be dropped along with the front.

I'm debating on pulling the engine with the front subframe and just cleaning everything. we will see how much work it will be. As the car sits right now, I would be able to just lower it all down in one piece and roll if straight out the front. Any suggestions...

On to the few pictures....

Any one know what wheels these are?

Good first day, good night everyone....

Chris

post-17057-13667627471175_thumb.jpg

post-17057-1366762747289_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627474441_thumb.jpg

So day 2 turned out to be pretty good all until my camera died after the first picture... So yea not much of an update. The rear subframe is out, the front is ready to go and I think the engine is coming with it also. I figure it will be easier to take it all down to clean and rewire everything with all of it out. We will see how it all goes....

Anyway, ill get the can fixed tomorrow and update with more pics tomorrow evening hopefully!!!

Chris

Ok so the past few days have been a wild ride. As I went to pull the front subframe I decided that it would just be easier to pull the entire drive train. Thus the engine and trans came too. it was a very easy process to get it all out, an engine lift and a pallet jack was all it took.

Once the engine was out I started to rid the wiring harness of all the unused circuits, EGR stuff, old lighting, side marker lights, and just about everything else... so out came the wiring harness. Let me tell you that was not fun! all said and doe it took about 5 hours to pull it all out. I never thorough that I would get the entire harness out in one piece through that 1" hole in the firewall but it all came out. I will be replacing it with a universal harness from Kwik Wire. A new 22 circuit fuse panel with integrated turns, hazards and everything else that I want to go back in.

Also got the power windows and door locks and keyless entry system, that will be installed today once I get the door pieces cleaned up. I will take tons of pics as it goes together so you can see how it works.

Anyway on to pics...

post-17057-13667627618415_thumb.jpg

post-17057-1366762762024_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627621834_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627623524_thumb.jpg

So yea... 30 days is not gonna happen!! I'm just to damn picky and must have everything some a certain way oh and there are way to many things out of my control to make it happen.

So while I wait on more and more parts to arrive I have made a bit of progress on the sub-frames and all the suspension components. All of the bits and pieces of the front and rear frames have been bead blasted and powder coated. That took an extra day away because the compressor died halfway through day one... Lame!! So with that done I decided to finish boxing to front and rear control arms and let me tell you they turned out nice!!! I am very pleased with how they turned out and I am hoping that they perform just as good as they look.

The front subframe is about 90% back together with all new poly bushings and new grease in everything. I'm just waining on getting some rubber tubbing tomorrow and trying to source some 320i hubs for the brakes and it will be done.

Tomorrow I am heading to the junk yards to pull some brake parts, I hope that they have what i am looking for and it does not take all day to get it done.

Here are some pics to keep you all happy. Also here is a quick site that I threw together, it has all the pictures for your viewing pleasure!!!

http://1975bmw2002restomodveronica.shutterfly.com/?role=-2

about 12 days left...

Chris

post-17057-13667627869543_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627870447_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627871699_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627872647_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667627873593_thumb.jpg