• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trivia question: glove boxes

dubois

spring cleaning time, found these two glove boxes, the one on the left weighs a whole pound less (3 vs 4 pounds), which I found significant. For those interested in shaving weight while maintaining the stock look,it may be worth knowing. Anybody know when they made the change and why?

post-154-13667625861525_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 91

Does that mean that we can put another pound of junk in the lighter one?? Do you know which one is the newer one? Is one Euro and the other the US version. Maybe they made them heavier to compensate for the fat Americans sitting alone in the driver's seat.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

gloveboxes are different--the one on my '69 has a different shape on the back side than does my '73, and they don't bolt up to each other's gloveboxes.

A fast look in the parts book would probably reveal when the change was made.

I think the majority of the weight difference that Michael noticed was in the face piece--and I suspect the lighter weight one is the later one...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bet that it changed at 71.5 with the dash and the 6-12 fuse change.

Reason being, I've had trouble swapping boxes between roundies, too...

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL