• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Pedal Kit Thread

Rocan

Since the for sale section no longer allows replies, this is the new thread. 

I finally found the time to start making these, and was able to knock out the first prototype in under an hour. It is rough around the edges and is a proof of concept in order to check fitment of everything. The hinge quality is far better than I expected with absolutely no noticable slop and the pedal is stronger than it will ever need to be. Much better than stock already, and I didn't even mount it yet. This one will be used in my own car and the final production ones will be much higher quality. I may even look into getting them cut on a water jet for greater consistency. Thus far though, they look  pretty good even for a rough cut. 

The few snags I hit so far are my own errors. I accidentally ordered the wrong locking collars for the bearing (I got 6mm instead of 8mm... doh!) and the flush mounted bolts I ordered are too short. The bearing fits very snug on the throttle shaft (a bit too snug thanks to a flat spot) so some filing will be necessary when installing the bearing in order to make it go on easily. 

Keep in mind that these pedals do not yet have the piece that keeps the pedal from flopping back on itself; this is just for fitment purposes. In the picture with it inside the car, the pedal is not bolted in yet and is simply resting with the hinge on the original nubs and the back of it on the throttle linkage (sans bearing... with the bearing it should sit a bit higher). Again, these will be sold with grip tape that you can apply to the pedal if wanted, or leave it raw! I can polish them for an additional fee, of course. 

IMG_0955_zps2dc40635.jpg

IMG_0956_zps277df1fa.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsbd602f09.jpg

IMG_0959_zps326b9d1e.jpg

IMG_0960_zpse3344829.jpg

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

As far as a time frame is concerned, I will not be able to do any more work on these until late May as I have finals coming up. In that time though, I am open to suggestions and questions and will do my best to incorporate everything we discuss into the final product. 

A bunch of Bikes...

I spent some more time finishing the piece... here is more what the production piece will look like as far as surface finish goes. This isn't polished but is sanded on a belt sander to get an even clean finish. 

IMG_0961_zps77e8615b.jpg

IMG_0962_zps67c159a1.jpg

A bunch of Bikes...

I'm still interested. 

Can you remind us of pricing?

$60 + shipping, and I'm just barely breaking even for this first run at that price. 

Edited by Rocan

A bunch of Bikes...

looking good boss, your absence caused me an all day car work day, did not even leave the driveway

rockers and wheel wells rust all removed, fiberglass repaired and all covered with rubberized undercoating, same with the nose valence. minor rust on body panels also fiberglassed and primed, let me know on the kit and a method of getting you $ and will do so same day

be well

Mark Baum / mbaum.collects@gmail.com
1976 BMW 2002 sunroof  (looking good now!)

2015 VW Jetta S (more like a car not a family boat)

looking good boss, your absence caused me an all day car work day, did not even leave the driveway

rockers and wheel wells rust all removed, fiberglass repaired and all covered with rubberized undercoating, same with the nose valence. minor rust on body panels also fiberglassed and primed, let me know on the kit and a method of getting you $ and will do so same day

be well

That's not so bad! What fiberglass do you have in your wheel wells? do you have fiberglass fenders or something? 

I'll get it to you the day I finish it... Late may! 

A bunch of Bikes...

sounds good, in re the pedal, I am thinking of adding an overlay of anchor tread and making same for the brake and clutch pedal as well, I will let you know if I can get to this shortly, as for the rockers and fenders I do not weld, I used fiberglass mat to repair small areas of rust after grinding down, treating with rust converter and using a plastic release film to keep the surface of the patch as smooth as possible, then sand and either prime if on body or sand and spray with rubberized undercoating if on rocker or in wheel wells. works fine, plenty strong and easy to do.

Mark Baum / mbaum.collects@gmail.com
1976 BMW 2002 sunroof  (looking good now!)

2015 VW Jetta S (more like a car not a family boat)

hey rocan,

Im still interested as well. just to clarify-> $60- pedal with all mounting hardware & hinge, the correct bearings/ locking colars for the throttle arm/ thingy, fancy grip tape if needed.... am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Bianchini

hey rocan,

Im still interested as well. just to clarify-> $60- pedal with all mounting hardware & hinge, the correct bearings/ locking colars for the throttle arm/ thingy, fancy grip tape if needed.... am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Bianchini

Aside from installation instructions you've got the right idea. Also the price does NOT include shipping, so tack on a medium flat rate USPS charge and you have the final price.

A bunch of Bikes...

How does the pedal attach to the floor? Does it snap onto the two nubs on the floor like the original or does it bolt on?

It bolts though the floor with a piece of aluminum stock on either side for reinforcement. No more evil nubs to deal with!

A bunch of Bikes...