• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any paint experts here?

creede

To be sure that no kittens were killed, my question is very specific.

My car is finally ready to be painted, and I have been getting lots of quotes. It has already been sand blasted to bare metal which plays into the price significantly as it now needs to be etched, primed, filled, primed and then painted.

The two best quotes I have received are as follows.

The shop right next door to where my car is will spray the entire car in and out with a Glasurit single stage urethane enamel for $5,000.

Another shop in town will spray the entire exterior and all visible interior parts with a two stage Sherwin Williams water based paint. They are proposing doing the hidden interior parts with a cheaper undercoating type of material. Price is the same at $5,000.

I have been reading about single stage vs dual stage and it sounds like they both have pro's and cons. When it comes down to it if you use a high quality product and have good skills you can get good results with both. So my question is does anyone know how the two products (Glasurit single stage urethane enamel and Sherwin Williams water based) compare as far as quality?

Which should I go with?

8896652784_3f4bbfe54f_o.jpg  1976 2002 - M20 swap in progress -- Build thread - http://bit.ly/2002M20build

Any paint experts here?

not really.

My experience with PPG Concept single stage has been poor- the stuff

oxidizes pretty quickly and we don't get much UV up here, relatively speaking.

The clear coat has proven to be quite durable.

Next door is really nice- you can wander over daily and keep an eye on them.

Water base scares me, but I'm not an expert. It has to be better

than it was 15 years ago.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

No expert either but...

If the single stage is a metallic, don't do it, as a metallic can't be cut and buffed; this process will disturbed the lay of the particles and leave and ugly mess, no problem if it is a non-metallic single stage. FWIW, I have not used the SW water base, but have heard good things about it.

I have sprayed Glasurit bc/cc on my motorcycle and it is real nice dreamy paint to spray and has held up well. Have never used their ss but I would not hesitate, (as long as it is a non metallic).

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

I have been told by a major restoration shop that you can't match paint with waterbased primers. So once you have an issue like an accident or scratch then you have a problem. Restoration shops in California have been given waivers on waterbase paint provided they are for restoration purposes only- not a normal type commericail body shop. Maybe something to consider

I have been told by a major restoration shop that you can't match paint with waterbased primers. So once you have an issue like an accident or scratch then you have a problem. Restoration shops in California have been given waivers on waterbase paint provided they are for restoration purposes only- not a normal type commericail body shop. Maybe something to consider

I have been told by a major restoration shop that you can't match paint with waterbased primers. So once you have an issue like an accident or scratch then you have a problem. Restoration shops in California have been given waivers on waterbase paint provided they are for restoration purposes only- not a normal type commericial body shop. Maybe something to consider

I would go with the single stage Glasurit because it will be a good rendition of the original Inka. You could get something not close with the water base two stage. The clear won't be peeling in 10 years. Someone mentioned single stage PPG Concepts fading, I painted two cars with it, one is about 7 years old and looks like the day it was painted Malaga and the other is Red and no fading there maybe they over reduced the paint. I paint a few cars and try to steer people to the two stage because it is easier for me. LOL I only use Dupont Chroma base now and it is very easy to paint. I have a friend that owned a body shop for years a real old timer and he loves the water base paints. I have seen so many different manufacturers versions of 2002 colors that when I paint my Ceylon car I will go with Glasurit. It is really what is important to you two stage will be easier to repair if needed.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

I was a painter for a number of years and currently work with a couple of high end bodyshops that spray bmw, audi, ferrari, maserati, etc. They both use waterbase two parts paints and produce excellent results. Waterbase has been in europe for many many years and all the bodyshops up here were forced to use it a couple of years ago and have adjusted to the process. Like most things in life , preparation is 99%.

Bill

vancouver bc

03/tii

I had my car repainted with Glasurit around 11 years ago, and it has held up remarkably well. I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters about preparation being the most important factor. However, all else being equal, glasurit was the original paint brand on these vehicles, I don't think you could go wrong with that choice....

hth

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Someone mentioned single stage PPG Concepts fading, I painted two cars with it, one is about 7 years old and looks like the day it was painted Malaga and the other is Red and no fading there maybe they over reduced the paint.

Or maybe it doesn't hold up so well in urban environments.

I have shot 3 cars with PPG Concept series single stage. All 3 have oxidized.

Not faded, oxidized.

And yes, mixed per the PPG sheets.

I've since started using clear over it, and the clear is a lot more durable.

Just my experience.

Having learned how to do clears, I thing going base/clear's the 'clear' way to go.

heh

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL