• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Build looks great so far. I would consider mounting the engine on outriggers with E36 engine mounts instead of having an engine stabilizer on the strut brace. More work, but less NVH and super solid. Just something to think about at this stage before putting the engine in.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

another day of slogging through cable runs. test draped the engine harness in engine compt, id'd where to put the relay holder and the diagnostic port (DS back corner) and then attached harness on engine. lots of slow threading of wire together and rebinding various parts of the harness, pulling extraneous wires, and adding gauge wires.

DSCN4708.jpg

DSCN4709.jpg

DSCN4711.jpg

DSCN4710.jpg

hoping to get to C101 connector and AN interface with ECU tomorrow.

2xM3

Spent a day not in the shop for a change! Needed a well lit place I could sit and work on wiring, so I took over the dining room table for the afternoon.

Tasks were to adapt the harness from using an airflow meter to using a TPS, clean up and wrap all the loose wires, and wire up the MAXX AN harness to the ECU connector.

First the AFM to TPS conversion.

Parts..

DSCN4712.jpg

AMP connector pins on

DSCN4713.jpg

Done

DSCN4714.jpg

Next wrapped and covered all the pigtails I had sorted out while harness was test fit on engine yesterday. There is an extra loom from stock that carries the oil pressure gauge and switch wires. These will run out along the hose to the sensor which will be mounted on the left strut area where it won’t see engine vibration.

DSCN4716.jpg

And the resident job superervisors checked on my work periodically…

DSCN4715.jpg

Then came the AN harness connection to the ECU. EZ with all the appropriate parts, spares and pinout tool that came in the MAXX AN kit.

Cover off, ready for operation

DSCN4717.jpg

Some pins done

DSCN4718.jpg

Utilized all references available..

DSCN4720.jpg

Job supervisor reappeared ..

DSCN4719.jpg

All done! While I was in there I added two wire taps for TPS and RPM so I call connect to my Traqmate Data Acquistion system

DSCN4721.jpg

Didn’t get to the C101, that and the X3 connector for the WBO2 tomorrow.

2xM3

that wiring is looking great!!! I'm hoping to get out to my car this weekend to put the diff I got back together and to install it on the subframe waiting to be installed. Maybe ill come out and visit sometime, still waiting for the warm weather.

Chris

Actual work got in the way of vacation yesterday and I ended up sitting in meetings instead of working on the m2.

Not today though!

Finished plumbing the brake reservoir.

DSCN4726.jpg

Then wired the LC-1 WBO2 into a connector which plugs into the MAXX AN. Pita! Connector pin was tiny and the LC-1 was already hard wired into the car. Not a fan of soldering thing on top of the pass seat, but..

DSCN4732.jpg

DSCN4731.jpg

Then made the 2002 “e30 compatible” by installing a C101 connector. Check and label all wiring a dozen times, and then….hope is right..

DSCN4727.jpg

Too late now!

DSCN4728.jpg

All the connections made

DSCN4729.jpg

Then covered it. Hope I don’t have to open the thing back up due to some issue later..

DSCN4730.jpg

Bolted down and hooked up the AGM battery

DSCN4734.jpg

Finished creating a positive terminal behind left headlight for aux power distribution

DSCN4735.jpg

Then decided to go with stock fuel press regulator initially to cut down on the startup variables. Took the AFPR adaptor off, installed stock PFR and….argh! the new TPS for the AN system does not fit with a stock FPR.

DSCN4736.jpg

Ah well, just another little challenge.

At this point I could put the engine in for real….if I had an oil pan…..

2xM3

Ah well, just another little challenge.

At this point I could put the engine in for real….if I had an oil pan…..

I cannot believe you still don't have the oil pan. No feedback yet?? Wonder what is wrong.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

some supplier issues evidently. even when i get it, i still have to cut and get welded the upper pan to match the M2 lower pan. once engine is in, have to make oil cooler hoses, fit exhaust, get airfilter that fits and figure out cooling hose configuration.

2xM3

some supplier issues evidently. even when i get it, i still have to cut and get welded the upper pan to match the M2 lower pan. once engine is in, have to make oil cooler hoses, fit exhaust, get airfilter that fits and figure out cooling hose configuration.

If you need to borrow an oil pan, I have a spare with extra subframe clearancing. It's a pretty awesome custom piece, but I'd be willing to let you borrow it until Lee's oil pan shows up.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

thanks. i do have an M10 pan with baffles installed in it i could use, but i would have to change to an M10 oil pump in order to use it. i have an s14 evo oil pump installed on the engine and the pickup point won't work with M10 pans.

2xM3