• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I change my oil?

jimk

Starting to get about 1/4 used reading on the LubeSafe, but it's only been 9700 mi. It's down about 1/2 qt in 5100mi. A real oil burner!

Before I you offer your half baked ideas like "Oil is cheap (and I don't care how much I polute the environment with waste oil)", this oil is by the only company that states on the label how many miles their oil is good for. I've seen nothing from any other company. Been using this brand for 32 years now.

post-247-13667624906235_thumb.jpg

post-247-13667624907036_thumb.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Sooo you have some fancy machine that tells you the oil is still good but you have almost 10k miles on it? Seems goofy to me, but what do I know except oil is very cheap.

Good luck

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again.

if your happy with the oil and how it has worked for you, which in 32 years I'd say you are. I'd just add oil to the system to keep it from getting to low. That however might throw off the diagnostic tool since you are mixing fresh oil with new oil. Of course, you could just change it when you reach the oil mileage it says it is good for, even though the diagnostic tool may say it is still good.

just my .02

........ "Been using this brand for 32 years now"

= your asking us ??

I think you've already come to a conclusion.

nice ACME Oil-O-Meter

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

If you were using Castrol, Toby might be heard to say: Think with your dipstick Jimmy!

Yes, we get it. Everything looks great with the oil. And, yes, I am using Amsoil 20W50. However, your implicit advice is lost on anyone whose engine is worn.

........ "Been using this brand for 32 years now"

= your asking us ??

I think you've already come to a conclusion.

nice ACME Oil-O-Meter

ACME? This was developed by the Army. You been out of town lately?

1/2 qt in over 5K miles isn't much at all.

Change your oil, dude, and return the used to the Recycle bin at the AutoZone or where-ever.

Why waste good oil?

How old is that oil analyzer, and when did you last have it factory calibrated?

If you really want to know the condition of your car's oil - send a sample to a reputable lab.

2010-04-30_155350.jpg

You calibrate the unit before each sample.

Sorry you couldn't find the unit online, it isn't there now, was a while back. I couldn't affore the commercial model when I bought it.

Sooo you have some fancy machine that tells you the oil is still good but you have almost 10k miles on it? Seems goofy to me, but what do I know except oil is very cheap.

Good luck

Why not buy cheap tires and change them often? This is old school thinking.

I've run the stuff for 35000 miles before with a real laboratory analysis and it was still gook,

Actually, I just wanted to stir up the troops. You guys are too nice, I thought worse comments would come. But my post is with the real stuff, real mileages, and true (not a made up test).

I know, I know, do it any way that makes you happy.

BTW, I have no leaks (of course if I have gone that far w/o adding oil). It is my engine build, so I can't expect anything less, can I?

I will go ahead and change the oil, it's been three trips to the MidAmericaFest from Denver (1700 mi/trip) and three years. I might have a lab sample tested, just for funzies.