• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner conquered/installed!

ClayW

Good job Clay, that looks very familiar as I did mine two years ago using the same method of several hundred clips!

Looked at your blog and noticed you used QuietCar for insulation. How much did you have to buy to cover the floors and back seat? I and strongly considering this product for my cars.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

Clay and J,good work can't wait to see the 1602.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Good job Clay, that looks very familiar as I did mine two years ago using the same method of several hundred clips!

Looked at your blog and noticed you used QuietCar for insulation. How much did you have to buy to cover the floors and back seat? I and strongly considering this product for my cars.

2 Gallons = about $150 shipped. I got the roof, side panels and doors, too. The car sounds nice and solid.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Clay had 2 gallons of QuietCoat. Jay, Clay and I poured, smeared and painted that gunk onto the floors, hitting the ceiling, back seat, parcel shelf, doors, and back body panels with 2 coats. We poured quite a bit of extra onto the floors, and poured an extra-thick coating into the door trays. 2 gallons was just a bit more than was necessary, but 2 gallons is the appropriate amount to put into the car.

Once the QuietCoat was hardened in Clay's 67, we compared the sound of the QuietCoat car with my 76, which has all of the soundproofing and tar removed. The difference is startling. Once we have all the window and door seals in place, and install Esty's carpet set, Clay will rename his car the "BMW Mobile Meditation Temple", or "Whispering Womb."

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Once we have all the window and door seals in place, and install Esty's carpet set, Clay will rename his car the "BMW Mobile Meditation Temple", or "Whispering Womb."

Grice, I haven't told you yet, but I'm going to replace the driver's side door with that beaded curtain thing in your living room doorway. Additionally, I think that the ashtray will be particularly useful as an incense holder.

By the way, here's how she looks with almost all the windows installed.

IMG00223.jpg

IMG002241.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

• 10 years later...

I know that it has been a while, but could someone provide an update on the QuiteCoat installed in your cars?

1. Any issues with the QuietCoat coming loose, especially from the roof above the headliner?

2. Any residual smell?

3. Any other downside issues to using the QuiteCoat?

I have just ordered 2 gallons of QuietCoat for my 1974 2002 restoration, and want to get it done before the headliner and rugs are installed. Just like williamggruff's post above (2010-04-24), I plan to coat the the interior of the car (roof, floor, back, doors, and side panels). The cost was $168, delivered to my door, and the customer support from Steve at QuietRock.com was fantastic.

Michael

Edited by RMBaiada