• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5spd conversion - New clutch won't disengage?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

steiny

I finally have everything in place after converting my Auto to a 5spd...and the clutch won't disengage. Any help would be appreciated. All parts are new unless noted. Most conversion parts came from Dave @ Aardvarc. Here's what I have done so far...

- Installed Resurfaced Flywheel & pilot bearing

- Installed New clutch (215mm) & plate...torqued correctly

- Installed bench tested 1980 320i 5 spd

- New Throwout bearing, pivot, slave cylinder

- Installed Used working pedal box with New Clutch master

- Bleed all hydraulics - no air in system & working fine

Here's what happens...

- Trans in gear...driveshaft locked in...clutch pedal smooth push to the floor...still in gear.

Here is what I've tried...

- Removed Slave to see if Pivot arm was loose, just in case I forgot to put the throwout bearing on during installation - Everything firm & in place

- Adjusted pedal to get more throw in the clutch master, to build more pressure - It aligned the pedals but did not solve problem

- Tested hydraulics for pressure by bolting a metal strap on the slave cylinder while compressed- Produced a firm pedal & a stretched strap

- Created a makeshift slave cylinder extension to test to see if the slave wasn't pushing far enough - 3/8" extension & still a smooth pedal to the floor...still not disengaging clutch

What else should I try?

Have you ever heard of a faulty pressure plate?

Could it be the wrong throwout bearing?

HELP! - Its been a long 2 year process & this car needs to get back on the road!

Thanks in advance!

do what you love, love what you do.

Here's the throw-out bearing part number for the 215mm clutch if that helps.

1 either a 323i throw-out bearing, if you are using a 228mm clutch setup, or a 320i throw-out bearing, if you are using the 215mm clutch setup

323i bearing, for 228mm clutch: 21 51 1 204 525

320i bearing, for 215mm clutch: 21 51 1 225 168

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Guest Anonymous
I finally have everything in place after converting my Auto to a 5spd...and the clutch won't disengage. Any help would be appreciated. All parts are new unless noted. Most conversion parts came from Dave @ Aardvarc. Here's what I have done so far...

- Installed Resurfaced Flywheel & pilot bearing

- Installed New clutch (215mm) & plate...torqued correctly

- Installed bench tested 1980 320i 5 spd

- New Throwout bearing, pivot, slave cylinder

- Installed Used working pedal box with New Clutch master

- Bleed all hydraulics - no air in system & working fine

Here's what happens...

- Trans in gear...driveshaft locked in...clutch pedal smooth push to the floor...still in gear.

Here is what I've tried...

- Removed Slave to see if Pivot arm was loose, just in case I forgot to put the throwout bearing on during installation - Everything firm & in place

- Adjusted pedal to get more throw in the clutch master, to build more pressure - It aligned the pedals but did not solve problem

- Tested hydraulics for pressure by bolting a metal strap on the slave cylinder while compressed- Produced a firm pedal & a stretched strap

- Created a makeshift slave cylinder extension to test to see if the slave wasn't pushing far enough - 3/8" extension & still a smooth pedal to the floor...still not disengaging clutch

What else should I try?

Have you ever heard of a faulty pressure plate?

Could it be the wrong throwout bearing?

HELP! - Its been a long 2 year process & this car needs to get back on the road!

Thanks in advance!

You confirmed the hydraulics are holding pressure, but you never state that you can see the arm actually move or if it is moving, how far it moves. I will assume you have observed it move enough to normally disengage the clutch.

Two things come to mind first: Wrong throwout bearing OR clutch disk was installed backwards so that it interferes with the depression of the pressure plate springs. I am not sure that you can physically install the disk backwards and still bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel on your car. Frankly, never tried it, but I have seen it done in another model car. If the pressure plate were defective, you would have likely noticed an irregularity in the springs and the clutch would be apt to slip and permit gear changes. If throwout bearing were too shallow or small, it might not permit sufficient depression of pressure plate springs to disengage the running disk.

Good luck!

Are you sure that you have the clutch hydraulics bled fully? If all is correct mechanically, sounds like you don't quite have all the air out.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I am having the exact same problem. I left the hydraulics connected and unbolted the slave cylinder from the trans. I retracted the slave cylinder piston by hand and had my unpaid helper press the clutch pedal. The piston extended when the pedal was pushed with force greater than I could overcome with my hand. The release arm is 2.22" in from the surface of the slave cylinder mount and the slave cylinder pin extends 2.500 inches from it's mounting surface. I used the "oil can" bleeding method to bleed the clutch system from the bleeder. Could it still be air in the system or the amount of slave cylinder extension insufficient? The throw out bearing is part# 21517521471 This is the three piece 5 speed transmission.

1975 BMW 2002 Amazonas Grun mit Sonnendach

1999 BMW K1200LT

1966 MB 230SL crushed

2006 Audi A6

2002 Audi TT 255

One more thing, should the slave cylinder want to stay extended, not retract with the clutch pedal? Also revised the dimensions of the clutch release and the slave to 2.122 and 2.500

1975 BMW 2002 Amazonas Grun mit Sonnendach

1999 BMW K1200LT

1966 MB 230SL crushed

2006 Audi A6

2002 Audi TT 255

I am having the exact same problem. I left the hydraulics connected and unbolted the slave cylinder from the trans. I retracted the slave cylinder piston by hand and had my unpaid helper press the clutch pedal. The piston extended when the pedal was pushed with force greater than I could overcome with my hand. The release arm is 2.22" in from the surface of the slave cylinder mount and the slave cylinder pin extends 2.500 inches from it's mounting surface. I used the "oil can" bleeding method to bleed the clutch system from the bleeder. Could it still be air in the system or the amount of slave cylinder extension insufficient? The throw out bearing is part# 21517521471 This is the three piece 5 speed transmission.

it sounds like you have the wrong TO bearing

i had a similar problem with my tii conversion to a 5spd

read below;

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,335052/highlight,5spd/

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”