• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 M3 Starter Upgrade on the tii: Definitely worth doing

jgerock

After seeing the FAQ thread on the Bosch SR-440X starter (E30 M3 with S14 engine), I decided to order one from BLUNT.

The weight and size difference is amazing. The engine spins much faster now.

pics4122010001.jpg

Note the "Do not strike with hammer" warning sticker

pics4122010003.jpg

It is still Made in Hungary since I last saw this on Keith Kreeger's website

pics4122010007.jpg

Simple connections: # 30 post from positive battery cable, # 50 spade terminal from ignition switch. I didn't have to change the factory wiring.

pics4122010004.jpg

I put some electrical tape over the hot lead for now until I find a protective boot (like a spark plug boot). Note the gap between the new starter and tii throttle body support bracket.

pics4122010009.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Perfect timing Jim.

I was just about to hit the pure Tii site to reference or refresh my memory of what I read last year as I will be ordering one of those in the next two weeks.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Quick question as I have you on here.

Where are you getting the alternator and what model number for the Tii.

Don't need nothing super special or Hi output. Still the stock Tii I have with the addition of fog lights. Thats it.

I am a lazy bastard. Just trying to save searching for 500 or so posts.

Thanks Jim.

Perfect timing Jim.

Where are you getting the alternator and what model number for the Tii.

Don't need nothing super special or Hi output. Still the stock Tii I have with the addition of fog lights. Thats it.

Bosch AL40X for the tii. I got mine a few years ago from BavAuto http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

BLUNT might be less expensive.

Jim Gerock

Thanks again Jim.

Yes, Blunt is the main place for me. Even if it is cheaper elsewhere I don't like the wrong info or part and the hassle of returning it.

Thank you Jim.

ps. went to look/get a squareback in Lansing and it sold in less than two hours after listing. Apparently Vee Dubs are in demand in lower Michigan.

Yep, I installed an M3 starter on my tii 18 months ago and it's brilliant - gone is the minutes (or so it seemed) of cranking to get it started. My car was never a 'happy' starter but it's so much better now.

A highly recommended upgrade.

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

Jim, Trash.

Would it be wise to fab a quick bracket to extend to the end of that starter for support or no need.

Thanks.

As already mentioned, there isn't any need to make extensions for the (2) starter bolts. Just make sure the throttle body bolt is secure in the block.

Jim Gerock

Jim, Trash.

Would it be wise to fab a quick bracket to extend to the end of that starter for support or no need.

Thanks.

As already mentioned, there isn't any need to make extensions for the (2) starter bolts. Just make sure the throttle body bolt is secure in the block.

Jim Gerock

I just did this to my car and it is great. The car had so much trouble starting before and now it starts instantly. Also, I found it funny how hard people would say it is to change the starter. They should try to change the starter on a 66 Thunderbird. The 2002 was a piece of cake compared to that.

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL