• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

all Tii's come with mechanical advanced distributor?

Armond

Unplug & cap the vacume line on the 74 if it is mechanicly sound and run without it. There is another distributor that has a close if not same mech curve. Have to look into past posts to figure out whitch one it is.

Good luck....

Armond -

I'd stick with the factory-supplied distributor (aka dizzy) for both your 73 and 74 cars. I believe the 74 unit is tough to find. Joel in Michigan just went thru this.

If you have a worn-out distributor, a good place to send it for rebuilding and re-curving it is Advanced Distributors in Minnesota. I had my 73tii distributor re-done by them - very impressive results. www.advanceddistributors.com

It sucks Armond.

We have the pleasure of a one year, one number only distributor.

Any other number and it is not for your car. I found one with the same numbers except the middle three were close.

Close but no cigar. It was for a 74 one year only automatic.

I don't know anything about using others and rigging or whatever some are doing to make it work but you need a dizzy with the numbers 74 Tii 231 180 013

My journey:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,660766/highlight,/#660766

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,661167/highlight,/#661167

[should I R&R the distributor with a mechanical one or just leave it the way it is.

Will it run better with it?

Armond, ALL TII'S WILL RUN BEST WITH THEIR CORRESPONDING CORRECT DISTRIBUTOR! And..................... each year pretty much had it's own different distributor. While '71, '72, '73 had purely mechanical ones '74 had a vacuum RETARD one to reduce ignition timing at idle to reduce emissions. Each distributor change usually had a corresponding injection pump and or compression change.

There, I said it but will you believe or listen to the good advice given?

There's good reason U don' got my cell#, I can't afford the minutes you'd use up asking me questions... LOL

Whacha' go and do now, buy Stephen Christopher's rusty '74 Tii?[/i]

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

it woundt make sens to not have any mechanical advance on a distributor.

the engine would be mega uneficient.

i have like 50 dizzy in milk crate, that covers all years iirc, including the elusive 74' only, which is not so uncomon, and all of them has mechanical advance. the only variation is vacuum advance/retard or both.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel