• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be why my 32/36 leaks out?

roadhog0

So I just had this hit me. I kept the original fuel regulator on my car when I upgraded to a 32/36. Could this be why my carb leaks most of the gas out of the carb when it sits for a week? And yes, I did level the float and that helped quite a bit but didn't fix it 100%.

Sorry for the bad cellphone photo.

Fuel%20Regulator.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

No i dont think so, the needle seat and plunger sits above the fuel level and the float in the fuel bowl the accelerator pump diaphragm if old can leak out fuel. an air leak in the inlet can cause hard or no starting after a few days and needs gas poured in the throat to get it started . by inlet i mean the line from the fuel tank. Eliminating the reg. would be a good start towards preventing future problems as it is unnecessary for this carb. I see you have an old shrunk up K&N filter too! million miles .. really!

I replaced the diaphragm when I rebuilt the carb so I don't think thats it, unless it can be installed backwards... I will also begin to remove the regulator since it can cause problems. And truly, I don't know how many miles are on that K&N. When I got it with the carb I cleaned it real nice, put a lot of oil in it and stuck in on there. It may just have a millions miles on it for all I know :P

-Nathan

yes it can be put in backwards but it wouldn`t work and you would definitely notice that the first time you drove it. During periods of hot weather like we had last summer the fuel will evaporate rapidly from the bowl if it isn`t driven soon enough to replenish the bowl. I would try to eliminate leaks to the carb and start `er every 2or3 days to keep it in the game. the comment on million miles was about K&N `s claim to have a million mile filter. the one for the 32/36 seems to shrink up after 50k or so but still seems to work.

I don't know, but get rid of that thing anyway. You don't need a return line with a 32/36 anyway, and that damn valve left be stranded on the side off the road for half a day one time.

I'll definitely get it off of there then! Don't want to be stranded anywhere!

And I can believe that there filters are good for a millions miles. We have one on our truck with 136k and it looks just about new! What I notice looking down the throats of the carb is that the accelerator pump tube has a slight drip to it. Maybe I got a bad pump diaphragm.

-Nathan

That's not a regulator, per se.

It's an idle bypass switch- when you have high vacuum,

it provides a partial bypass for fuel to return to the tank.

It's actually the beginning of a really good idea-

the bypass fuel system used on every new car since 1987-

but if it's not working right, it can cause starvation when climbing a hill

or accelerating hard.

Fuel leaking out of the bowl is gonna have to be a problem with the

carb itself. Like a hole in the bottom, or a seal that's failed (in the accel pump?)

But if the bowl's not filling, that would maybe give you the same symptoms..

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The bowl fills no problem and I don't have any fuel starvation problems other than letting it sit for a week it has to be cranked for a little to get some fuel but it pumps right in no problem. I must just have a bad seal somewhere... Irony is I rebuilt the whole carb a few months ago w/ all new seals and a good cleaning and scrubbing.

-Nathan