• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy fogfest

tony2002

Any tips out there for keeping the fog off the windshield? It's raining like a m'fer in the Boston area, and I've been driving with my head laying on the dash to see out of the tiny area that the de-fog works on.

So far i've been using DD's napkins, and my sleeve.

The Kopper Kaiser

Photobucket

Some say open the wing vents to create a cross flow of air but that sucks when it's raining out.

Others say wash your windscreen on the inside with vinager.

Others swear washing the inside with just plain ol soap works too.

Some will tell you to fix your blower motor.

You could always get a vintage dash fan like the VW's had as an option.

100_9423.jpg

You don't need duct work....

Run the interior fan on low (at least), make sure to put the heat on (you might have to run it hot if the car is damp), and open up the quarter lights and you'll get cross low which will keep the windshield clear. This is key, most people don't know how to use them properly!

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I've been using my fan. It works but I was hoping somebody out there had an awesome upgrade that I could do to the duct work.

I've considered this one:

fr6090.jpg

It's a kit to boost the airflow in air-cooled VWs. Looks like a solid design and you could just run them inline to your defogging ducts. The kit is a bit pricey, in my opinion, but it would work like a charm.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Hmmm...That could be a fairly easy task to install some small 12 volt pusher fans inside the ducts. I'd add them nearest the window ducts. Probably run about $20 at Radio Shack.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Hmmm...That could be a fairly easy task to install some small 12 volt pusher fans inside the ducts. I'd add them nearest the window ducts. Probably run about $20 at Radio Shack.

Seems simple enough. The real benefit would be to install them in the vent ducts and heater outlets and run them from the power that used to run the heater blower motor. You might have to do some creative wiring to control which fans came on at what time, but it would beat paying for a new heater blower motor. You could even put a replaceable filter where the blower motor used to be. I smell a good project.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Get yourself some Windex with ammonia and really clean all your glass it will surly help. I just did it this weekend and no fog.

HTH,

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao