• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wunderbox diagnostic tool

jgerock

I finally ran across the little "box" someone described here on the FAQ. They were advertised in the early '80's Roundels (thanks to Joel in Michigan for the mags). The unit came with a harness and connector that plugged into the BMW diagnostic port on the driver's side firewall.

Here is their ad

WunderboxAd1981-1.jpg

And here is a letter I ran across in the July 1982 Roundel explaining why they weren't available anymore.

July82RoundelLetterfromJRE.jpg

This is/was a neat tool that I wish I could find. Anyone out there have more info to add?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Jim, Tim "Tiger75" Abendroth from Shreveport, LA has an old diagnostic gizmo something like that...In fact it might be the exact same thing. More recently Glenn Stephens of ATL built / sold the "2002ner". It was a similar device. He used to sell them through the forum. I bought one from him and raffled it at a 2002 gtg I hosted in Hot Springs, AR several years ago.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Hi Jim,

Been looking for one ever since I saw that ad & found out what that little orange plug was in my car.

If you or I find one please contact eachother.

I knew you would enjoy that box of roundels.

I scanned what I thought I wanted and put away in a database for future reference. Glad your getting good use from them.

They are neat to read and go through. Those were the days eh?

I like the prices in the ads and check out the classifieds prices also. Actually some of the stuff went for big bucks back then. Still neat.

I'm trying to unclutter the shack so scanned copies are good for me.

Enjoy.

Keep up on posting informative articles for the ones that don't have these.

Joel.

Without the diagnostic reader, the diagnostic port is still good for at least one thing that I know of. The back, outside hole can receive a sharpened piece of metal rod, or nail, to connect one end of a remote starter, with the other end connected to the + battery post. This is especially useful to those with automatics (like me) when you adjust the valves. Pull the coil wire and bump the engine a tad to get the rocker on the cam lobe opposite the lobes high point.

Bob Napier

Good tip Napes.

I had read an old post of yours concerning this. That is how I do it from now on when I want to bump the car for valves or points.

Has anyone else found any other uses with the other holes/connectors on this diagnostics plug?

I mean't to ask Pat from the post above. Did you build yours and what functions does it perform. (your the electronics wizard aren't you???)

or am I thinking someone else.

I thought I remember a post of you with a cute girl dressed as an angel. That's what I'm associating you with anyways.

Good tip Napes.

I had read an old post of yours concerning this. That is how I do it from now on when I want to bump the car for valves or points.

Has anyone else found any other uses with the other holes/connectors on this diagnostics plug?

I mean't to ask Pat from the post above. Did you build yours and what functions does it perform. (your the electronics wizard aren't you???)

or am I thinking someone else.

I thought I remember a post of you with a cute girl dressed as an angel. That's what I'm associating you with anyways.

I builded mine, yes. it shows dweel, rpm and battery. i can turn on ignition and start the car without the key. usefull for tune...

thats me with the angel...5 years ago

post-119-13667622450237_thumb.jpg

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I found the "2002ner" thread in the archive from '03...It says "in the tradition of the Wunderbox"

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,22328/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,2002ner/

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I found the "2002ner" thread in the archive from '03...It says "in the tradition of the Wunderbox"

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,22328/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,2002ner/

Thanks for the info Skip - unfortunately the links don't work anymore ;(. I wonder what the "2002ner" looks like.

Pat Allen - any interest in reviving your "black box" project for sale here on the FAQ?

Jim Gerock

Thanks for the info Skip - unfortunately the links don't work anymore ;(. I wonder what the "2002ner" looks like.

Pat Allen - any interest in reviving your "black box" project for sale here on the FAQ?

probably, the issue is with the end plug, i had to use a early wiper switch end plug. If i can find the plug, then why not. To be interesting enough, ie, at least get break even on the cost versus sell price i would need at least 25 peoples interested...well, i can sure make them and sell them later in time...i dont know.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Pat -

Couldn't you use an Amp (Amphenol) brand connector like the turn signal one?

pics11709016.jpg

coldstartwiring1old.jpg

Molex may be another source - they are a good customer of mine (NE and AR manufacturing plants with HQ in IL)

Jim Gerock

Pat -

Couldn't you use an Amp (Amphenol) brand connector like the turn signal one?

pics11709016.jpg

coldstartwiring1old.jpg

Molex may be another source - they are a good customer of mine (NE and AR manufacturing plants with HQ in IL)

it is exactly what i used for my unit, you didnt read my post above ?

i never realy looked at the molex catalog, they are good customer of ours as well (remote start company).

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Sorry Pat - I did see your post indicating the wiper connector.

i dont remember if it was the wiper or flasher stalk, at least this is it. ill look for plug sources and will report later for price/availability of my unit.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

there cant be much to these things...im a half assed electronic hobbist. im sure someone with just a lil skill and a soldering iron could build one...

does any one know the pin out lay on the pull?

it would be fun to make one using a microcontroller

got bolts?....well i sell them...ask me how....

bimmerboltsandparts.com

75 2002

88 yamaha ysr50 (street)

88 yamaha ysr50 project

94 jeep yj

84 318i