• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii "bucket list" questions

Anschauer

In the midst of a no-holds-barred '72 tii resto and lucky me (& lucky for the Mighty Blunt and many others I might add), I am so far in the position to do it right.

Options are wide open and your thoughts and guidance are welcome. It will be a semi-garage queen and w/e driver - show car sorta thing.

In my wildest dreams I'd like to do the oldtimer track thing once in a while at LR or Watkins so I'd like it to be Right Foot Friendly if you get my meaning...

- Crank balancing & indexing of flywheel. Worth it or not?

- Valves and seat grind - remain stock or do something better? Sodium-filled or overkill and problematic?

- Intake manifold - port & polish or don't mess?

- Pistons - stock or ??

- Anything else you'd do???

Guys have at it and don't hold back here...tia

post-14914-13667622365955_thumb.jpg

post-14914-13667622366939_thumb.jpg

post-14914-13667622367797_thumb.jpg

post-14914-13667622368627_thumb.jpg

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep in mind, anything over stock will require you to mess with the k-fish and possibly get it sent away to get modified. Be careful with the cam selection, that matters more than the bottom end for the injection.

2.2L or 2.3L is probably a good place to start, not kill the budget, and still end up with a more torque/hp at around 155-165 hp and 150lbs/ft torque depending on cam selection.

Combine that with a typical 3.91LS and a 5-speed and you'll give yourself some advantage coming out of the turns. I ran a couple of drivers schools with a 3.64 open and you can't get any rpm on exit. Suspension wise, bilstein sports/lowered springs (but not too low or stiff so you can keep a good street ride) and the biggest sway bar you can fit in the front will give you good handling. Again, a very tried and true combination and not too expensive.

The other piece you might consider is a big brake kit with the mix of 320i vented rotor and E12 calipers. Once you do that, with the right pads, you won't cook brakes. You can run stock rear drums with a good set of pads (a bunch of instructors I talked with ran this combo for years), though 320i is probably a better match.

I would not hesitate to go to BMW CCA schools, its not racing, its not just old timers, but you can still have a load of fun in a '02 at an event.

Besides LRP and WG, remember that Monticello opened up in 2008, some BMWCCA chapters are starting to get days there now.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I would read through every word of Keith's site (www.my2002tii.com) and do every modification that he did. Additionally, I might add A/C. Some say that it's extraneous, but, if you're getting that far into it, why not get all the bells and whistles?

I've recently been working on an early 320i manifold for my Megasquirt conversion. Since it looks so much like a tii manifold, I've had a fantasy that includes using this setup on a tii car.

Advantages: More easily tunable injection system, no finicky K-Fish, you can utilize the tii air cleaner, it's all reversable if you ever want to go back to stock and you'll have one of the most reliable and efficient 2002s that you can get.

Disadvantages: Non-originality (if you care) and Megasquirt comes with a bit of a steep learning curve.

Good luck with the build. Keep us updated!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Guest Anonymous
In the midst of a no-holds-barred '72 tii resto and lucky me (& lucky for the Mighty Blunt and many others I might add), I am so far in the position to do it right.

- Anything else you'd do???

In response to the picture captioned "Why?" My first reaction is whether a previous owner provisionally purchased the car based upon 2 factors: can I fit surfboards in the car and do I have to pay full price when the seller learns that there are two gaping holes behind what used to be rear seat bulkhead. Another possibility is termites with very strong jaws.

Penth20 - Yes I will never pass this way again so this is why It Has To Be Right. Even though the door we're waiting for is replacing an entirely rust free drivers door (for sale BTW) that door was dented when the PO had a 'helper' who let it slip off a jack. Since this car will be as true to original as possible the old door had to go since it would have meant a pull out and bondo job and never look perfect.

Paul7002 - Will look into this and thanks. I may not go this route with the '72 tii but for my '76 - Makes me a little horny.

Justin - I hear what you say but I also have a daily driver '76 which I will play with (someday Turbo Klone) but the tii has to look original.

The suspension has to look right and aside from a full set of Eibachs that I have already had powder coated black I will use Bilsteins. BTW - what is this "upside down" stuff I keep reading about? What is that good for?

Definitely the BMW School and glad to hear Monticello is opening up. Our airdale Toby is from Monticello and it's not too far from where we live in Brewster

Clay - If you need a tii intake manifold I have 2 extra spares, have one and swap your 320 mani and go for it. Name your price, it's yours. Be nice to see how it works out. email me

Mac in Illinois - will do with mucho gusto this pm

Keep em coming please. Oh yes - I decided on Polaris 2-stage as the color for those that remember my post from January...

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

Clay - If you need a tii intake manifold I have 2 extra spares, have one and swap your 320 mani and go for it. Name your price, it's yours. Be nice to see how it works out. email me

I've already got the manifold. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Kits will probably be available from my machinist after he finishes working the kinks out. Of course, this all happens after I find a car in which to install all of it!

Keep an eye on my blog, too.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

First 80% costs you 20% the last 20% costs you 80%.

Wisdom Alert! Wisdom Alert! Please stop and reread the sentence quoted above. Repeat until forever.

Everybody thinking of a bare metal resto should have this tattooed on their right forearm in order to see it every time you reach for a wrench (or your checkbook).

...ned.

'74 tii rolling resto

i'd restore it to mint box-stock and keep it that way, all the way down to stock plastic intake runners etc.

i'd then take the 80% for the last 20% that Mr.Williams alludes to and buy a non-tii and track the hell out of it, where the condition of the paint/interior and occaisional dents won't matter as much. you're going to regret missing the apex in the garage queen tii and understeering into the barrier on the outside of the turn at 50mph.

once you modify the tii, it is not stock and it loses value, if that matters

you're going to find a restored tii is a peppy car in its own right, and afar as i'm concerned, i would not track mine due to the possibility of making a mistake and ruining many long hours of labor/love/money

fwiw

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Gents-

gwb72tii brings up an interesting point.

OK see the engine pic below.

Out of all the haul in that 17' U-Haul's worth of stuff I have only come across one black plastic intake runner. When exactly did the tii switch over to the all-cast runners?

Dear Mr Bittner,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2762570 was manufactured on August 10th, 1972 and delivered on August 16th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

-----------------------------------------

Available at BMW Group Classic

Phone: +49 89 382 68281

Fax: +49 89 382 24765

mailto: andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com

URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

post-348-13667622409613_thumb.jpg

- George Carlin