• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scott Sturdy's '68 project

ScottNC

FINALLY put on the Suspension Technique sway bars and it handles great! Not sure why the PO lowered the car and left it with stock sway bars????

Forgot to post that I took the trunk lid to get the old bondo baked off. the guy who does my powdercoating and blasting put it in his oven and all the old bondo just baked right off. Pretty cool, but it also baked off the sealer that bonded the structural support piece to the trunk skin(Easy fix though).

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Scott! It's Austin- I'm living in warm Arizona now and have been keeping my old car habit going. I still have my roundie and have been fixing up a sahara '75 I bought for cheap locally. I really love your latest project and think the flared pig-cheek look is awesome. Hope WS is good, say hi to everyone for me!

Austin

73 '02 red but originally blue

74 '02 sahara project

'57 AH 100-6

1990 Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

Hey Austin, how's it going. Glad to hear you haven't been cured of the car disease yet ;-)

UPDATE: Made a light bar from scratch for some vintage fog lights I found on ebay. I made the mounting brackets with two holes each so another pair of lights can be mounted on the underside. Turned out pretty well.

post-17300-13667634497482_thumb.jpg

post-17300-13667634498641_thumb.jpg

post-17300-13667634499642_thumb.jpg

Scott- just when I thought your car couldn't get any awesome-er, you made it even more awesome-er (awesome-er-er?) with that light bar and the vintage amber lights! It's so cool with those 8-inch bwa rims, that I'm now thinking maybe I need some flares and some vintage 8" wide 13" rims. Just the thing for cruising around Ardmore!

have fun!

Austin

73 '02 red but originally blue

74 '02 sahara project

'57 AH 100-6

1990 Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

• 5 months later...

Got a chance to work on the car today.

Rally floorboards:

I found a perforated aluminum restaurant cooling tray on Ebay for $10. Cut it in half and made some racey looking floor boards out of it.

Horn:

Got tired of not having a horn so i got the Hella(?)one from Griot's several months ago. Finally hooked it up today and it is hella loud!! Mounted a push button for the horn beside the steering wheel. Didn't feel like trying to make the horn button on the steering wheel work and this fills the existing hole anyway. I didn't use the relay that came with the kit because, well, I'm an electronic idiot and I'm not sure why the hell ya need a relay when it seems to work fine without one.

Mounted the horn right behind the headlight. Seemed like a good place.

A little dissapointed. i thought this electronic horn was supposed to sound just like the Italian air horn version (the one with the compressor and air hoses). Not quite.

post-17300-13667642811553_thumb.jpg

post-17300-13667642812617_thumb.jpg

post-17300-1366764281361_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The car is on it's way to being another color.

I'd leave it the way it was if it was ANY other color than Anthracite. Who lowers a car, puts flares on it with wide wheels , and then goes and paints it gray??? It was originally a Polaris silver car which would have looked good.

I'll probably paint it white because that's the most forgiving color for my crap body repair. It will still have the black Alpina scheme.

post-156-13667645131434_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

October 25, 2011

Now that it's less humid, I'm back to the body work. My wife Patti thought this was soooo funny that I was gluing my car back together (see pic). Used epoxy resin and some pop rivets to secure the flare which was becoming detached.

post-1050-13667650749806_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667650750711_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Started painting the 02 white. the rear panel was sprayed using Rustoleum rattle can and looks pretty good. the side has two coats of Rustoleum using the roll-on technique with foam roller. It's going slow and It looks like there will be lots of 800 grit sanding once the paint is on there. I may end up spraying the other side one panel at a time instead of using the roller.

Curiosity about this technique got the best of me so I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Rustoleum review: Seems to be really good quality spray paint and I like their 'automotive primer' better than Duplicolor.

post-16813-13667651902775_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i finished the bottom portion of the car and I'm really happy with the results.

What I learned about the Rustoleum roll-on technique:

1. Put 3 coats on the car, then wet sand with 400 grit to get rid of the 'orange peel', then add a final coat. After the final coat dries, wet sand with 1000 grit and polish with electric polisher. You will have to wait about 4-6 hours between coats. You mix the paint about 50/50 with mineral spirits.

2. The hairdryer is extremely important . You roll on about a 2'x2' area and wave the hairdryer over what you just painted to get rid of the air bubbles.

3. Bubbles and runs are the only things that can ruin this paint job. Since the paint dries slowly, you have a chance to double check the panel you just painted and work out any bubbles or runs.

4. The electric polisher isn't an magic wand. All it does is remove the sanding marks left by the 1000 grit. The polisher won't remove 'orange peel'.

HERE'S WHAT YA NEED:

-Paint (Rustoleum can and spray in the same color)

-Degreaser paint prep. Prep-All in a green spray can from Advance works great

-Foam rollers and handle

-Mineral spirits

-Paint tray with black plastic liners

-Plastic paint measuring cup

-Hair dryer

-drop cloth

-Big trash bags to cover wheels

-painters tape

-400 and 1000 grit wet sanding paper

-electric polisher ($38 from harbor Freight)

-Polish (Ultimate compound by Meguaires)

post-1050-13667652421804_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667652423087_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667652423984_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667652424828_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

White has been painted and turned out pretty good. The roof will probably need another coat and some sanding next Spring because it has some orange peel.

Found some Hella-cheap driving lights on Amazon (Pilot Navigators)...$21!

Saving up for a fiberglass hood and stock deck lid before I redo the satin black.

The black-and-white looks too much like a cop car so I'll have to add an accent color. I'm thinking orange with some Jagermeister stickers. I'll have to play around with some ideas in Photoshop.

post-1050-13667653789155_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667653790626_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667653791627_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667653792723_thumb.jpg