• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scott Sturdy's '68 project

ScottNC

OK, so I figure I should start a project blog so I can prove to everyone that I am not the best shade tree mecahnic around :-D

Car came from Brad Day in Charlottesville with Alpina style bubble/pigcheek flares, vintage style racing seat, big interior wink mirror, lowered with Bilsteins, rear spoiler, BWA steering wheel, and big ass BWA wheels.

Car was repainted at some point because the label under the hood says Polaris(silver). Of all the colors out there to choose from, not sure why anybody would pick this blue gray color??

What I've done up to this point: had header ceramic coated, assembled engine and installed it, welded some rust on sub frame, messed up radiator and had to clean up spare I had in basement to use. The engine was out when I got the car so I had no idea where any of the wires went. called a friend and he did it in about 15 minutes.

Engine is running and drove it down the block and back. Waiting for warm days to do some more work.

post-1050-13667620382314_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667620383184_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667620384387_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667620385279_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667620386321_thumb.jpg

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's project. Took a cheap glasspack muffler (about $15 from Summit) and fit a VW stinger (about $20). Can't wait to replace the BS tractor muffler that is on the car now with this.

post-1050-13667620389868_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667620390842_thumb.jpg

in case you were wondering where your car came from

Dang it really does look like that car! At least I know I can outrun a Volvo police car now.

Let me ponder the mustache suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the clutch master cylinder in without a hitch, in fact it's the easiest project I've ever done...NOT! What a freaking pain in the a**. Since I was working by myself I had to weld the top bolt on the outside so I could loosen it from the inside. Parts should not be this hard to remove.

Note to self: When clutch pedal is not attached to the master cylinder, the pedal spring will cause the pedal to come smashing down on your finger. "*%$#$@*"

This is a really great car. I love the bucket seat. A great period racer i feel. Just need to loose the spoiler and get yourself a set of twin 40's. Love it. I too drive a 68 so I'm always glad to see another. Do you know the build date of yours. Mine was March 14th. Good luck with this project.

Daniel

Daniel

'68 2002

www.1968bmw2002.blogspot.com

Is that the e30 res on the master? I was mulling that conversion over myself..I was curious how it looked.

A previous owner did the conversion. I think someone said it is an early 320i part??? Not sure.

This is a really great car. I love the bucket seat. A great period racer i feel. Just need to loose the spoiler and get yourself a set of twin 40's. Love it. I too drive a 68 so I'm always glad to see another. Do you know the build date of yours. Mine was March 14th. Good luck with this project.

Daniel

i like the spoiler it gives it a cool look

ill stick a 4G63 in anything

Daniel

i like the spoiler it gives it a cool look

Yeah, I've never had a 2002 with a turbo spoiler so I'm keeping it.