• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sway bars?

nbristow01

My stock 02 has body roll. I looked at both IE and TEP. TEP is about 80 bucks cheaper for the set(front and back). Any feedback on which ones are prefered?

Also, on a street car, will the bigger sway bars really make a big difference? I have never been in an 02 with bigger bars so I have no comparison

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

How do the Autopower bars compare, price- wise?

They're a good compliment to a stock (ish) suspension.

Yes, you'd like them. No, they're just springs used differently.

I paid $200, but that was before I went bald.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On a street car they will only make a difference if you go around corners, or, go around curves on roads. I don't know how you drive, but, even in the city, my driving approaches "spirited" quite often. I like running anti-sway bars, but then when I first bought my ' 02 (28 yrs. ago - same one I drive today) I was coming out of a 356A Porsche that I time-trialed and autocrossed (both very successfully) that had a front anti-sway bar affectionately refered to by my competition as a "Buick driveshaft". So, the first thing I did was get Bilstein HD shocks, lowered springs, and 19 mm bars front and rear. I think I'd be happier with a 17 mm rear bar (stock on the ' 02 Turbos) but I've never made the real effort to get one.

The ' 02 will corner fine with stock bars - the suspension geometry was designed that way, but I was just never comfortable with the stock body roll. Just my 02¢ worth.

Bob Napier

I drive pretty ummm "peppy" in town so maybe I will benefit. the 02 handles so well overall though. I have an 06 A3 with sport suspension and the 02 sticks to the road almost as well, just that body roll makes me feel a bit unsporty

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

What kind of condition is the rest of the suspension in? Are the rubber bushings replaced with new ones? Are the dampers new or original?

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Just swapping sways on an otherwise worn stock suspension isn't gonna provide a lot of 'cure'.

I went with the 2002 Roadsport Suspension kit from Korman Racing .

The kit consists of 4- Bilstein HDs, 4 H&R Springs (lowers .5 - 1.0"), 22/19 Suspension Techniques Sway Bars and all Prothane poly bushes.

It is a great kit - all time-tested by Korman. Eliminates body roll and hasn't harshened the ride whatever. The car feels very responsive. I highly recommend this kit.

You might be able to source all the bits separately for a few dollars cheaper, but the savings didn't amount to much when I did it last fall.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

What'd that kit run at Korman? Seeing as they haven't updated their site since 1997, and don't feel that listing prices is all that important, it's always hard to get an idea of what they run.

-Charlie

IIRC, it ran about a grand all-in. You can shoot an email to them, or call and ask for Ray Korman. I called and I think he gave me a discount when I spoke with him.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet