• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E28 Master cylinder work w/stock 2002 booster?

ceylove

I've put E21 front calipers w/vented rotors on as well as 250mm drums in the rear. I'm concerned the stock 2002 master won't be able to keep up. What's the best (largest?) master cylinder I can mount to the stock booster without modifications? 76' US 2002-no smog stuff.

Ceylon-squarie

Why don't you drive it and see how it works.

The bigger your master cylinder is, the more pedal force will be required to stop the car.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will just drive it and see how it goes. I had zero brakes in the rear when I got the car Christmas Eve and just having them fresh and working was a revelation! Lots of changes going on at one time the next couple of weeks, probably good on the wallet to give it a fair assessment before buying more parts! Thanks again

Ceylon-squarie

Thanks for all the input. I think I will just drive it and see how it goes. I had zero brakes in the rear when I got the car Christmas Eve and just having them fresh and working was a revelation! Lots of changes going on at one time the next couple of weeks, probably good on the wallet to give it a fair assessment before buying more parts! Thanks again

i had an e12/28 MC and the brakes were very nice (volvo vented girling calipers up front, stock rear). good bite and easy to modulate. (yes it fit stock booster :))

I'm using an E12 with a disk/disk set-up. Don't know if this matters on the '02s, but in other circles the master needs to be intended for disk/drum originally because there is built-in residual pressure on the the drum circuit. This is more obvious when using a disk/drum master on an disk/disk set-up as the rears will drag and run hot. Don't know if this applies to '02 though, so comments please...

The residual pressure valve is screwed into one of the fittings on the MC of my 2002 and is not an integral part of it. You can also buy similar valves from manufacturers like Wilwood and place them anywhere between the MC and the drum brakes. As far as I know, there is no difference in the design of MC's for disk-disk and disk-drum setups. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I've heard several people use the 750 master cyl. with Lees' system. But what year would you use. Does it all line up?

I guess I need some clarification with this, I am considering doing the MASSIVE system.

Lee: would you advise doing the Porsche master or the 750 master, and what year to use for the 750 master. And at what point would you consider one to the other?

Thanks in advance to all.

Chris Xzavier