• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Your Fuel Filter Run Full?

fwardell

My see through (made in Israel, interestingly) fuel filter doesn't ever seem to fill up. It runs about 1/4 full. I have it canted up such that it doesn't drain back to the tank, but still it doesn't fill. Is that a problem? I have hard hot starts - wonder if this is a cause. Or indication of a weak fuel pump. Car runs great at ALL times other than hot starts.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

one that did on a carbureted car or truck...unless it's the glass bowl type that's part of the mechanical fuel pump.

I've often wondered about it, but it doesn't seem to affect anything, so...I just ignore it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

quarter full or less is where mine is and is normal

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

It's only full when you're not looking at it...;)

and when it is really truly empty, it knows you're gonna look at it out of desparation

don't tempt filter fate, replace those plastic disposable filters often, as the inlets/outlets weaken & can split

Excellent question... I"m running the 'filter king' which is a glass bowl type, and it generally runs full, but lately I"ve been having some issues...

Seems I'm pulling too much air into the sytem, the pressure is good but volume is low. After a period of WOT I drain the bowl, the carb bowls, and viola, no go no mo....

I'm working this issue trying to get air from being sucked in, one last connection is suspect and if not, it's going to be a single peice of briaded stailess tank to pump, instead of using the hard return line.

BD