• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT Garage find New Project

pkbinplano

1975 Triumph Spitfire 35k actual miles. Brought it home today. Will be my wifes. Actually, was her dads. LOL She drove it some in high school back in 77-78. Been parket and not driven in father in laws garage since 81. He bought it new. Finally told me to come and get it. Found the window sticker in the paperwork.

380594023.jpg

380594087.jpg

380594084.jpg

380594015.jpg

He was back and forth for the past 20 years, he was going to have it restored, naw, you can have it, going to get it running, naw you come and get it. He offered it up again at Thanksgiving dinner in front of everybody and I said New Years weekend, then pointed to everybody and said yall heard him ! he's 73 .

You seem to be going the wrong direction. When I purchased my 02' it spelled the end of "the Spitfire dream" for me. The 02' could do nearly everything the spit could. It handles better, it's faster, and way more reliable. I still have half of the project sawzalll 65 still in my shed (much to wife's chagrin). But with all seriousness I still have a few trinkets Including a BL Spitfire 1500 service manuel laying around if you need something... Enjoy

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Nice little car. I had a 1974 Spitfire and it was great fun, but make sure you have towing on the insurance policy.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

I have had my TR6 since 1988 and am still in love with her. So get her cleaned up and drive the pants off of her.

Happy Motoring !

post-14250-13667618335525_thumb.jpg

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Nice little car. I had a 1974 Spitfire and it was great fun, but make sure you have towing on the insurance policy.

What is it about British Engineering that makes us say these things?

I just watched the latest "Top Gear" challenge - and if you haven't, you should. But - they call the Range Rover the most unreliable vehicle in the world. And - they don't have a good reliability record.

I have an old Mini - and even though it was built by Italians, when I am working on it, I constantly ask myself "Why?". And - they leak oil. Apparently, from the people I have talked to - all of them leak oil.

What do you need to do to the Spit, besides wash it?

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Great car! Terriffic fun to drive, excellent parts availability (cheap, too). The Spitfire has a few weak points (engine thrust bearing wear is a big problem with the 1500s), but, once those are addressed the car can be just as reliable as you allow it to be.......in other words, maintain it correctly (according to the factory maintenance schedule & routines).

It's very different car than the 02, and a whole lot slower, although the handling and brakes are really pretty decent. Just give it a chance and it'll win you over.

The FAQ equivalent, for the Spitfire is a group called the North American Spitfire Squadron (you'll have to Google to find it.....but let me know if you need help finding it and I'll put you in touch with them).

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002