• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still available new?

OttoF

nice unrusted SW or Cali car and get the patch pieces necessary. The rusted spot directly below the heater is part of the firewall and I don't think you want to replace the entire firewall or pay the price of the whole part (if it's available) just for a small piece.

The forward part of the heater plenum chamber (the part you removed) doesn't look too bad--a few minutes with a MIG welder could fix that. Make sure you keep the drain tubes (AKA duck lips or elephant trunks) clean and clear--that's what usually causes the rust you found.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The firewall should be an easy fix, but the piece I removed I'd rather just replace if possible. I have fixed so many of those small spots, and they always seem to be more of a pain than the larger areas. I guess I don't have the patience to let them cool long enough between tacks to prevent warping, and wind up having to hammer everything flat again.

Hi Otto,

I think I have the piece you want, good used from my 74. I haven't gotten to that area yet but it seems ok.

The shipping will be less from Ca.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Thanks for that link.

Mine overall is not as big of a project as that, but not that far off. The nose on mine is actually in good shape, as are the front fenders and frame rails (surprised the heck out of me).

As far as the patch to the firewall, that is exactly what I had in mind, except I will have to go a little lower.

Actually I'm on the rebound, I went through the depression of finding rust in unexpected places, now I am finding others to be in much better shape than I thought. As I progress there will surely be more surprises, but looking at what others have gone through really helps.