• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

changing brake fluid frequency

auggiemize

I often hear folks north of the Mason-Dixon line discuss what to do for their 02's during hibernation period in the winter. One I hear about is changing your brake fluid...I understand the "why" (I think..) of moisture retention in the fluid can affect and corrode/stick pistons. For those of us that can drive (almost) year round, how often should brake fluid be changed? Maybe I missed it, but I dont remember/know the drill. Thanks, Dave V. in western NC

Guest Anonymous

wheel cylinders, clutch master cylinders, and slave cylinders are not! Look in your owner's manual or factory service manual for the recommended service interval. A rule of thumb if you are meticulous is to change twice a year.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

for street car, once a year is good, every two years is probably fine. it does not make a difference if the car is north or south, used daily or garage queen. brake fluid absorbs moisture over time. that moisture not only decreases the effectiveness and boiling point of the fluid, it can also cause corrosion in the brake system.

for track car, the above does not apply. brake system should be bled before every event (sometimes during an event if needed). over the course of several events, you have bled the system enough that effectively you have changed the fluild...but...should flush system in off season anyway while rebuilding all the calipers.

2xM3

i have 98 cherokee and newer changed the brake fluid and have no problem. it has around 100.000 miles. if you look at the books it says you should change every 30.000 to 40.000 miles but i am happy with my brakes as it is.

74 2002 LUX European version
66 Mustang

79 Jeep Cj-5

98 Cherokee Sport 

You are using strange logic. Once you have a fluid related brake problem it's to late to change the fluid.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Guest Anonymous
i have 98 cherokee and newer changed the brake fluid and have no problem. it has around 100.000 miles. if you look at the books it says you should change every 30.000 to 40.000 miles but i am happy with my brakes as it is.

Do you bother changing your oil at recommended intervals or do you wait for it to turn silver? How about the air pressure in you tires? Do you bother inflating them to any manufacturer's recommended pressure? No one actually says you have to add air. Much lower pressure will probably give a smoother ride and when the tires go flat they will feel like you are riding on rails. Just make sure to stay on very smooth surfaces!

You are past the warranty stage. If you are happy with your brakes, why argue with success and risk disappointment by flushing your brake fluid?

Guest Anonymous
...what everyone else said...

t

changing brake fluid frequency? I use a superheterodyne quartz oscillator tied to my petronix. Mine is fine at 400 mhz.

Touchy subject (preventative maintenance). In the age of self-service gas stations and plastic encapsulated engines, most driver's don't mess with their vehicles. Joe Chamberland wrote a good column in the Roundel Magazine where he helped a guy with this broken-down, not-to-old Civic. Joe described the hood was hard to open and didn't look like it had been opened since new.

Back to the brake fluid issue. I have observed the regular "clear" fluid turns dark (almost black) over time. This could be your "sign" to have it changed. Old brake fluid

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Make sure the frequency matches the length of the brake lines.

1/4 wave and multiples thereof work best.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.