• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'02 vs E21

JFT

For those with experience with both cars, how is the owner/driver/maintenance experience different between the '02 and the E21? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

Guest Anonymous

Ive owned both, but ill supplement that with the fact that my e21 was a stock 80k mile creampuff, and my 02 was a race project turned everyday crusier.

The e21 was a great car, reliable, straitforward, smooth, easy to maintain and cheap to repair. A bit boring though in the "hey, look at me" dept.

My 02 (current car) is noisy, smelly, and tempermental. However, it outperforms the e21 in a straight line and the twisties, and turns the heads of oblivious grandmas.

Gotta go with the 02.

apples & oranges

the e21 is a fantastic cruiser for long distance, highway driving but is someaht of a dog in it's stock version when compared to an o2

the o2 however is made for driving the hills & curves and making a fast get away

primary differences are...

1. grin factor driving a car creates...02 +10...e21...+ 5

2. attention grabbing....02 + 10....e21 + 3

You buy an e21 to use in the winter so you don't have to use the 2002.

Unless it's a really nice one in a rare color. Make mine a 77 with optional 5sp and euro bumpers in that Pastel Blau, Jade green, or Inka.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

more weight, less motor, compromised suspension...

When I see any 4 cyl E21 that's not in great shape I address it as 'Hello, Parts!"

but then, I'm prejudiced.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I drove an `82 320i between 02s for about 6 months. It had been sitting for 2 years before I put a battery in it and started it right up.

It was slow and boring, but it grew on me. I definitely prefer the 02, but the E21 was stable and comfortable.

It is, however, difficult not to see the parts-farming potential of an E21. One of Terry Sayther's mechanics once told me, "The 320 was the best thing that ever happened to the 02!"

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I drove an `82 320i between 02s for about 6 months. It had been sitting for 2 years before I put a battery in it and started it right up.

It was slow and boring, but it grew on me. I definitely prefer the 02, but the E21 was stable and comfortable.

It is, however, difficult not to see the parts-farming potential of an E21. One of Terry Sayther's mechanics once told me, "The 320 was the best thing that ever happened to the 02!"

And we have a winner

"The 320 was the best thing that ever happened to the 02!"

I have owned both and the e21 is heavy and slow by comparison (just my $.02)

Time is the ruler of all...

E21's are an acquired taste. I have owned several, and currently have the Baur with a 2 liter M21 and a regular US 320i.

The four cylinder cars are very reliable and make excellent daily drivers. They are quite slow though, as mentioned before. The six cylinder cars feel like a whole different model, especially a 323i or an M20B25 powered one, like a '79 I once owned.

The big equalizer is price. For $2500.00 or less you can get an E21 in great condition almost anywhere in the country. Euro six cylinder models are $1500-$2000 more. Try finding a turn-key '02 for that!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I have owned each of the last four years of the BMW 2002, plus two parts cars ('72 and '76). I had a rusty '81 320i (1.8 liter), and now have a '78 320i with a high compression/balanced 2.0 liter.

The first three series cars are the only ones built without robots. BMW built a new facility to mfg. the E30s. The first three series does not have weak subframe bushings, weak rear shock mounts, or thin sheetmetal in their floor pans that allow the rear subframe to tear itself loose.

There were two different versions of the E21 320i. The early cars, with the 2.0 liter and CIS/K-jet, have very heavy sheetmetal, and better power than the later 1.8 liter E21s.

The '78 that I own weighs 2500 lbs., runs and drives great, and is really fun to drive. The cost of making a really great E21 320i, one that's reliable and that you can drive all over the county, is the same as making a really great 2002.