• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 year resto - finished.

PasadenaRoss

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent!

A labor of love, indeed!

:)

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I was so envious seeing all your packages of goodies (BMW parts)... it must have been like opening Christmas presents all the time. Nice that you converted it from an automatic to a manual. Overall, it looks like a real labor of love. Please add an engine bay shot sometime.

Congrats and enjoy.

-Marc

Thank you for the compliments, it really means a lot. Yes it has been a labor of love. Lots of time, sweat, money, and love to complete it. I am definately enjoying the 5 SPD. This is the engine bay. I have also had lots of help from a few close friends.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

one word..............STUNNING!! After seeing it in person, the pics don't do it justice. Congrats on a job extremely well done. You have to be very proud of what you accomplished.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

What extra seals do you have? I may be getting another one.

Marc

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

Nice job Ross!

I don't know how I managed to look at hardly any cars at the show (but maybe I was looking for your e24!).

Very pretty car!

Cheers,

Ray

Thank you Ray, I missed you at the show. Funny the same thing happened to me, I spent all my time talking to a handful of people and missed seeing more cars. The E24 wasn't there. Hope all is well with you.

Wow, colour and work looks stunning. Well done, I'd love to have it as a future Car of the Month? Email me the images and the story if interested richstern@hotmail.com Keep 02ing

Richard.

www.bmw2002.co.uk

Richard, thanks for the compliments, I'd be honored to. I will email you shortly. Great site!

It's hard to believe you started out with the same automatic car! Very nice work indeed. Is your car a '72?

Did you purchase most of the parts thru a local dealer, or thru someone like BLUNT?

Did you keep a running spreadsheet on your costs and labor hours?

I would love to do a project like this in the future. Maybe if I can win the lottery for all the $$$ it would take to purchase all the new pieces.

Thank you. Yes car is from 2/72, parts were purchased either from BLUNT (great source, nice guy, great prices) or from Patrick at BMA locally (Glendale CA).

As for a running total, I stopped a while back, but I plan on putting it all together soon. I am in about $20K with everything including paint. Money is tight all around so the last bits seemed even pricier. Lucky I had been collecting parts for sometime, and found great sources.

He most certainly sounded like a very interesting individual.

I remember reading about some of his marketing "gimmicks" for his B-horror movies. What a cool former owner to have in the car's past.

http://www.spinetinglermovie.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle

Jerry

Yes, intelligent in how he went about making a name for himself. Yes, agree, cool to have as a past owner.

Hey Ross, your car looks amazing great job. By the way who did your body and paint work?

Thanks Vic. I actually talked to a number of shops of different levels and prices and some were scary in how they wantee to do the work. Some wanted to mask and then paint, others wanted to replace good sheet metal due to minor rust, to wanting me to use a metallic 'burgandy' from some late import ..... amazing!

Finally found a local, no name, independent old school guy who understood what I wanted and delivered at a fair price. He wasn't scared to do rust repair. He has done a lot of work with Glasurit, which is what I used. This is not some fancy resto shop, just a guy who knows true body and paint, with guidance from the FAQ and lost of searches I learned what I wanted and guided the paint man. There are a few things that I would do differently if done again but very minor.

Excellent!

I wish i lived just a wee bit closer so i could drop by and use your car as a 'role model' for mine.... meaning i'd use your car as an example as to where things go and how the car 'should' look....

Every time you leave your driveway, you must be proud.

-Josh

Josh, it was good meeting you. We will definately be keeping in touch to exchange information. You have an awsome '02 yourself.

Beautiful job Ross! whereabouts in Pasadena are you? we should meet up sometime....i think we met at the socal vintage show

william

Definately, would love it, we all need together more often for drives and talk '02

Thank you everyone for your compliments !! much appreciated.