• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refitting interior door panels...any tricks?

jrhone

OK...so I am redoing my stereo and I replaced the door speakers, and got a new set of door panels from dave at aardvarc racing....so any way to EASILY reinstall the panels...when I get the new panels on, the holes dont quite line up...slightly off and I cannot easily adjust it so it fits....it seems either the front of the door is fin but the rear is not lining up or vice versa...cant get it all to line up....these are used panels but near perfect...so I dont think they are bent, (maybe my door is?) so I am wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong...its the last step to this install and its killing me!!!!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Guest Anonymous

just to add to your worry: you did get the right panels, didn't you? I'm pretty sure early and late ones are a different size. Do you have your old ones to compare to?

My biggest secret is dont be affraid to use a little force. I took a wood block and a hammer to mine and just lightly tapped from one side to the other. Works pretty well. But make sure it's lined up properly!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

thats a good idea.....ok....maybe I have been thinking it will just slide into place...when actually it may require some force...ok...thanks!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

A very minor detail in installing the interior door panel is to use the black plastic clip (rather than the green variety) in the hole adjacent to the window winding mechanism (second hole from the top along the front of the panel). This is contrary to previous info on the forum (on 8-11-09) which suggested using the shorter black clip on the upper rear of the panel to prevent interference with the door lock mechanism (from Maximillian). I have checked these locations carefully on my '71 which originally has the shorter clip installed in the front location. There is ample room in the rear of the door to accommodate a longer (green) clip.--Jim

another tip that i heard here (but I can't vouch for since I have yet to install mine) is to take the upper metal clips and file or bend back the little spikes... according to this person, the clips clamping force is plenty and the little spikes just make it all the more difficult to get on, but especially take OFF.

can anyone confirm?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Rob - I can confirm that. Those clips will hold the chrome strip on in gale force conditions - no need for that!

Squish them in and love yourself when you take them back off.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5