• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting down the elusive fuel stink

I *think* I may have solved my fuel stink problem by using the original fuel vapor catch and a home made charcoal canister.

So far so good. I drove into work today with a full tank and no strong fuel odor. It'll sure make the drive up to Pittsburgh more bearable...and keep my wife happy. Not to mention saving a few precious brain cells.

Details and pics on my project blog: Turningwrench.com

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

You have given me some good tips on how to find my fuel stink. I have done what you have up to the point of reconnecting the vapor recovery and adding the charcoal cannister. I have been thinking about adding one for some time.

Hopefully this will fix my issue like it did yours!

Thanks,

Mike

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

My fuel stink issue was from a cracked 0-ring on the pickup. The crack opened up when the pickup tube assembly was tightened, allowing gas to spill all over the trunk. Since re-filling multiple times for the V@V drive, no leaks and the stinking smell has been fixed.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Great innovative approach. I initially thought the fuel smell was fairly simple to solve, but now I know better. If I recall there is a very comprehensive FAQ on the gas smell. I

f you are looking for other factors, one I found was that the PO had installed a new dash, and the heater fan controls were incompatible running the fan in reverse and dragging in odor from the trunk. I also had at least 4 other alternating problems adding to the confusion of identifying the smell - as did you.

I really like your approach because I don't want to vent my fuel filler vapor liine (European approach) to outside air under trunk for fear of a possible IGNITION source back to filler spout and tank.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I have a fuel stink in the trunk (only, but it spreads to my garage over time) since we did EFI, mechanic says it's because of the extra volume of fuel passing from the tank to the engine and back again, vs old carb...

He mentioned next time I drop by he will put a Chevy Caprice charcoal canister to replace the catch tank in the trunk, It's supposed to fit like a glove right there, it's bigger, cheap and does a much better job... I can't vouch for it yet, but I'll have it done soon...

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

ha! i figured a post about gas and stink would bring you out of hiding, otis.

i had replaced the o-ring around the sender as well, jim. forgot to mention that one.

dave, hadn't thought about it as a source for ignition but given the amount of fumes that i was smelling it probably isn't too far fetched.

so far so good. the only vaporous smell i'm getting from the trunk is the scent of paint from the top of the tank.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)