• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Behr AC?

The '76 I was recently given has a Behr AC system. Haven't investigated its condition. Don't remember seeing a lot of positive comments about either of the factory systems in '02s, but also haven't asked the question directly. So:

1) If it's working, is the Behr AC worth a damn?

2) What's the performance/HP cost?

3) Has anybody ever swapped AC from one car to another, and how did it go?

Thanks one and all.

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

I've been driving a ' 75 here in So. AZ for the past 28 yrs. w/ a Behr A/C system and it does a pretty good job of keeping the interior confy. I've had little trouble with the system over all these yrs. Replaced the York compressor with a Sanden rotary when I first owned the car, and, 27 yrs. later, had to replace it again. My wife's been driving her ' 76 for 11 yrs. now and we replaced her compressor about a year ago with a Sanden rotary. Her car has a Clardy setup which has a console layout I like less than the Behr's. Considering we have summer temps between 100º and 110º I think the A/C in the ' 02s do OK. Maybe not up to the standards of the past 15 yrs., or so, but not bad for 34-yr. old cars.

Bob Napier

I can tell you Randy's A/C works really well - even while sitting in the back seat. I bummed a ride in their car after the 2008 V@V event to the downtown bar (Thanks again Randy!).

I don't use mine very often. I like driving with the windows open since I work in a cold office building all day.

I have a Behr in my 74 TII with a Sanden compressor and it works great.

Doesnot use nearly as much HP as the York compressor.

Took a 100 mile ride over the weekend with my wife and she thinks it great.

Randy Anderson

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Randy, Can you give me more information on the compressor you are using? We have a 1974 2002tii with a dead compressor and we can't find out what to order to replace it. Your post sounds like you like what you have.

Had one in my '76 and now in the '74. Over 20 years with York compressors and no problems. Be sure to close the sliders for the floor & windshield fresh air vents, and point both A/C vent toward you!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 2 months later...