• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bike motor swap???

RayB

ok so my friend showed me the busa mini and i got to thinking what if???...i looked for hours on here and found no one that thought of it before. i know there is a lot of work to get it done. it seems very posibal to do, i want to know if anyone has tried it.

PFC Ray

car:76 02 & bmx are the way to life

There was a little discussion here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,320483/highlight,audi+engine/

I thought about it myself, wouldn’t be hard if you’re good at fabing metal. Hayabusa in the back, using an audi torsen diff with a sprocket attached. Fuel tank and battery up front to balance weight. Shifting could be done a number of ways but the Formula SAE team I’m a part of at school uses a single lever to shift up and down, no clutch pedal, simple but genius design.

Main problem would be the weight, even with the 2002 stripped to nothing with one seat and no roll cage you’d still be looking at 1500lbs minimum + driver. I’d guess the bike clutches are designed for up to around 1000lbs (big bike and two hefty adults). They have very little torque low down so the revs would have to be kept high. I’m sure someone makes a heavy duty clutch, I just haven’t been able to find one. Radical uses them in the SR3 among other cars and that weighs in around 1100lbs.

It would be cool and IMO not to hard to do, but I’m not sure it’s worth it unless the car is strictly a track car. I’ve thought about it a lot and I might still do it in 10 years or something but probably not. Instead I think I’m going to go the route of a rotary 13B with T04S turbo like the car pictured here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,322432/

The torque problem can be overcome by just gearing it really short (6K rpm @ 60mph short, depending on the engine etc)

Stress on the clutch will also be acceptable this way, they're cooled by engine oil anyway, so burning a clutch will take quite a lot of abuse (and they're relatively cheap and a lot easier to replace than your average car clutch)

You'll just have to learn to live with having to rev it all the time.

And there is always the option of turbo'ing it.

I've been thinking about building a track 02 with a Honda VFR engine, but that's mainly because I really like the V4 sound.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

you know whats more fun than a motorcycle engine in a car? a motorcycle engine in a motorcycle. not only that, it takes far less work.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

lot more practical to swap in a Honda S2000 engine / trans - lots of power, reasonable torque for a 2000 pound car, and minimal adaptation issues (at least relative to making a bike motor work).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Take a look at what the Legends race cars do-

they get a bike transmission hooked up to a Pinto rear axle...

I agree, though- if you've ever ridden in a Mini, it makes the VW Beetle

(the real one, not the new Golf one) look huge! So it's

more suited to a bike- sized powerplant.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

you know whats more fun than a motorcycle engine in a car? a motorcycle engine in a motorcycle. not only that, it takes far less work.

You know what's more fun than a motorcycle engine in a motorcycle, a motorcycle engine in a formula SAE car weighing 50lbs more than the motorcycle:

You know what's more fun than a motorcycle engine in a motorcycle, a motorcycle engine in a formula SAE car weighing 50lbs more than the motorcycle:

thats fun for a car, but its still a car. much of the fun of a motorcycle is leaning into a corner hard, and you can't do that with a car.

you don't even have to go fast for that feeling. even my 7hp 50cc bike is more fun than my 02 or miata.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser