• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stick or Automatic?

thaclav

I'm looking for my first 2002 and I'm trying to decide if I want one that's stick or automatic. Right now I'm looking at a '73 automatic which seems to be in pretty good shape, but needs motor mounts and some other work. I'm thinking that I might end up swapping a 5 speed into it but that's way beyond my mechanical ability at this point, and going from an automatic to stick sounds like it could be a rather complicated conversion if it's even possible. The only issue is I currently can't drive stick (I'm learning though), so an automatic would be simpler right now. My gut's telling me to get one with a manual transmission so I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do. I'm just curious what my options are if I get the automatic. And this is kind of off topic but does anyone know if it's possible to tow a 2002 behind a Jeep Cherokee? I'm not sure how comfortable I am with driving a questionable car home a long distance.

-Ryan

What's the tow rating on the Jeep? Putting a 5-speed into an Automatic car is slightly easier because the tunnel is wider but I'm not sure if the cost is greater than swapping a 5-speed into a stick-shift car.

I think most folks here will vote for the manual tranny. And dare I say... It'll be MUCH more fun :-)

Good luck!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Not sure exactly what the tow rating on the Jeep is but it's got a Class III hitch and a 4.0 I6 and has been used to tow boats and stuff before. It seems like it could handle pulling it but it would be even slower and burn more fuel than usual.

Don't even think about an automatic.

Have you ever noticed that race cars (road race) don't use automatic transmissions.

For maximum car control, you need a manual transmission. Learn to drive a stick shift and you will like it.

W. B.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Do you want to DRIVE or just slop around?

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

I guess much to the surprise of the two posts above, automatic trannies in ' 02s can be manually shifted, which I do a lot while driving. My nearly stock ' 75 managed to win it's AutoX class against tiis at the ' 95 BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Colorado, despite the fact that I was apparently "just slopping around".

Bob Napier

I really prefer manual shifting.

That said, the autobox in the 2002 isn't your gramma's

Ford Galaxie.

If you're willing to learn, and don't mind getting dirty,

converting an auto to manual once you've gotten comfortable

with it isn't too hard.

or

If you're willing to learn, the 2002 manual gearbox is still

one of the better ones out there (if your linkage is new, bushings

are new, etc etc)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Unless you can't or won't learn to drive a stick, buy a stick. It is an ineffable part of the experience of owning an '02, particularly if it is your first. It sounds like you're predisposed that way anyway. Odds are that the automatic you're looking at is probably not such a unique steal (of course what do I know? I haven't seen the car).

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Okay guys, I've decided I'm going to get one with a manual transmission. Time to borrow my friends civic so I can learn to drive stick. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get one in the near future, I'm 17 and I already have one car so 2 is a little nuts at this point but I'm gonna find some way to pull it off. The only thing I'm worried about is that after I get the 2002 the Jeep's going to be boring as piss to drive but I'll just have to drive the 2002 more.

Okay guys, I've decided I'm going to get one with a manual transmission. Time to borrow my friends civic so I can learn to drive stick. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get one in the near future, I'm 17 and I already have one car so 2 is a little nuts at this point but I'm gonna find some way to pull it off. The only thing I'm worried about is that after I get the 2002 the Jeep's going to be boring as piss to drive but I'll just have to drive the 2002 more.

One thought though gents.

I noticed during my two year search for the right car, that automatics bring less money than comparable sticks. You can get more car for the $. The cleaner the body, the less you'll spend over time fixing rust. And automatics typically have survived a bit better due to the original clientele. -they weren't driven as hard, they are pampered a bit maybe..etc, etc.

If you go auto, when you get the parts assembled, you make the switch. four speeds are plentiful. Its not terribly difficult and will help you learn the car along the way.

Mine has an automatic badge on the back...

FirstGoodBath.jpg

I bought a solid daily driver for just under 5K total, including shipping to Cincinnati from San Francisco. If I tried to buy a car 'locally' in the same condition, it would have been near double. If I had bought a rusty one, it would cost thousands over the purchase price to get it to this condition. Not to mention that because it was a daily driver, the mechanicals are in good working order. Rebuilt engine, weber 32/36, petronix, 3 core radiator, converted auto to four speed, early guage set. Granted it had evidence of having been hit in the past, but the patina gives it street creds and I used it to negotiate price.

While there is something to be said for buying a basket case and learning on it, but I would have to recommend that you save the pennies, get a loan, whatever, just do what you gotta do to get a clean bodied car. It will be less expensive and certainly less disappointing in the long run.

Rust never sleeps. Remember that.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002